Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if there were any advantages to using a larger container as opposed to a smaller container for raising tads. I was thinking of using 6 Quart sterlite "shoebox" containers for each tad with some eggcrate structures for security and algae growth. Would this be any better than 16 or 32oz containers, or is it just impractical and a waste of a space?

·
Registered
568 Posts
With eggcrate separated sections, covered with screen or needlepoint mesh, you would have a lot of surface area for algae growth, fit more than one tad in the container, and do easy waterchanges.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
With eggcrate separated sections, covered with screen or needlepoint mesh, you would have a lot of surface area for algae growth, fit more than one tad in the container, and do easy waterchanges.
most tads are cannibalistic and will consume other tads. they may also produce a chemical that inhibits the growth of other tads.

james

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I raise most of my tadpoles in containers the size of those yogurt or pudding containers. Remember, in the wild most types of dart frogs raise tadpoles in very small amounts of water- bromeliad axils, small pools in nut pods, etc. so they really don't need a whole lot at all. I doubt there would be any disadvantages to giving them more space, but practically I don't see any major advantages that would make it worth all that space, especially for people with lots of tadpoles.
Bryan

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, I was hoping maybe when given a larger space with so much surface area the tads might be nice and big when they morph out. You could also use that container for morphing and grow-out too, so no need to sterelize 3 containers when you can just do one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts