Dendroboard banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sexing pumilio by the science is not very accurate. I have seen fat males and skinny females. Patrick has a pic of a very fat male and normal looking female if you go and d/l the pdf on raising and breeding pumilios (file size is 23mb). The dark gray spot on the throat is a dead give away that a male has called recently. That being sad both my pumilios are fat. The calling male actually looks like a female ready to lay eggs. My male was calling at 2 months old, so if the condition of the tank is right they will call.

Since we are on the subject of sexing, i have a few questions. Both my pumilios are fat. The one that is not calling is extremely fat though. It always hide in the brom. The calling male will start calling if he sees the other one out and about, and basically walk slowly towards fatter one. Yes, pumilios can walk. The fatter one will jump out of sight and the male will stop calling.

I was wondering if i have both males. Is there any chance that a dominate male can prevent another male from calling? So the male is basically chasing the other male away with his call. Or can this be a nonresponsive female as someone has told me. Both my pums are around 6 months of age.

Here is a pic of the one that is not calling... it's not that good of a pic but you can get an idea of how fat it is.

Oh and thanx to everyone who has helped me last night in the chatroom.. I just wanted more opinion :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Jaso said:
Since we are on the subject of sexing, i have a few questions. Both my pumilios are fat. The one that is not calling is extremely fat though. It always hide in the brom. The calling male will start calling if he sees the other one out and about, and basically walk slowly towards fatter one. Yes, pumilios can walk. The fatter one will jump out of sight and the male will stop calling.
I was wondering if i have both males. Is there any chance that a dominate male can prevent another male from calling? So the male is basically chasing the other male away with his call. Or can this be a nonresponsive female as someone has told me. Both my pums are around 6 months of age.
Just separate them. I had a hard time with my imitator, and when I separated them with 15 mins, both were calling. And I waited 1 1/2 years to separate them, all other signs told me a pair. They would even sleep in the same leaf.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So.......I hope I am getting this correct. The Pumilio in question are not CB. The males will quite possibly be of a slighter ( realy hope thats a word), build. The males will most likely have a dark vocal sac. Understand that my brother is not going to have the luxury of spending the time required to couple every single Pumilio that Glen receives, so putting them together would not work on any level in this particular case. If there are any other people out there with possative experience in sexing a large number of Pumilio, that can give a little extra special advise, this is what is being sought after.Thanks in advance,

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It would apear that not all of this thread has made "the cut", anyone interested in a copy of my brother's good bye post , feel free to contact him. Anyone in need of contact info, or personal thoughts, please pm me. Thanks,

Rich Frye

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
With all of the craziness happening lately. I would like people to be able to know what caused all of the mass hysteria. Monday May 3rd. Dr. Frye wrote a final statement to the Dendroboard community. He said goodbye and asked that the post be left intact and untouched. Within half an hour of saying goodbye to the board, his message was frozen/erased/moved, and Dr. Frye was officially banned from Dendroboard. The owner of the board claims that Dr. Frye broke the user agreement in his final statement. I have an exact copy of that statement, and can’t find the violation. Please feel free to read the cause of the hubbub and ask Joe Hickson if it is absolutely identical to Dr. Frye’s posting. While you are at it ask Joe how Dr. Frye violated the user statement. I am a biased member. I am both a friend of Dr. Frye’s and an employee of his, but he neither asked nor paid me to post this. The following statement is exactly as it was posted. I suggest either printing a copy of this post when you read it or saving a copy to your hard drive, because it will most likely be erased within minutes.

“Assumptions allow the best in
life to pass you by
- John Sales

If we all worked on the assumption
that what is accepted as true is really true,
there would be little hope of advance
- Orville Wright

Assumption is the mother of the screw up.
- Angelo Donghia

You proceed from a false assumption. I have no ego to bruise.
- Spock

Assumptions are the termites of relationships.
- Henry Winkler

The least questioned assumptions are often the most questionable.
- Paul Broka

You must stick to your convictions, but be ready to abandon your
assumptions.
- Dennis Waitley

The harder you fight to hold on to specific assumptions, the more
likely
there's gold in letting go of them.
- anonymous

Begin challenging your own assumptions. Your assumptions are your
windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the
light
wont come in.
- Alan Alda

I have recently been informed that Melissa is offended and believes I
called her an ASS earlier today. If she makes this assumption, she must
also realize that I must by necessity be calling myself an ASS. Now, I
have the self-confidence and self-awareness to admit that I can, at
times, make a total ASS out of myself, but I wasn't trying to call
either of us an ASS earlier today. That being said, Melissa has asked
that I be punished. Punished for my horrific statement of, "There is a
great saying about assuming."

Once again I am reminded that anyone and everyone can write on this
forum. That provides the potential of greatness, but it is that same
opinion-overload that can overwhelm those seeking knowledge (true
knowledge with facts and data and stuff.) I admit to overreacting once
again by responding to Melissa. Her speculations and assumptions,
whether they be grounded in truth or pixie dust, are sacred on this
forum. She and a few other board members get the greatest satisfaction
out of seeing their ideas spewed forth across the web. For some the
significance or even truth of their statements doesn't even matter.
Volume is what matters to these few.

For offending the powerful and fair moderator, Melissa, I will most
likely be removed from this board. I wanted to thank all of those who
have strived to provide help and knowledge to eager board members. I
want to congratulate the board for becoming so large and influential. I
hope to stay in contact friends I have made. As always, I can be
reached
at my hospital if there is a need. Good-bye.

Sincerely,
David Frye

P.S. I hope Joe and Melissa and the other moderators have the decency
to
leave this message untouched and in place. I can't believe that this
message will destroy the foundation of Dendroboard, but I expect it to
be erased.”

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh man, I hate it when they get rid of a main character in a show. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who has a love affair. I'll be tuning into the next episode of AS THE DENDROBOARD TURNS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ticket Fee?

Bring out the popcorn and soda, LOL!!!!!!!! Next, this board will be charging us a fee in order to tune into each episode of this show! LOL!!!!!!!

Yalar said:
Oh man, I hate it when they get rid of a main character in a show. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who has a love affair. I'll be tuning into the next episode of AS THE DENDROBOARD TURNS.

· Registered
547 Posts
It really irks me to see a few people are actually happy and amused that this board has lost a valueable member. How many of you have actually spoke to Dr. Frye in person? He is extremely polite, knowledgeable and provided me with alot of great information. Unfortunately there are not alot of Frog Vets out there, raising some people to argue about his methods and what he recommends. I for one am sad to see that he will not be posting anymore.

Robert Marchisi

· Super Moderator
8,764 Posts
I'm with Robert and Aaron on this. Cheering that someone is gone is in extremely lousy taste.

I may not have agreed with everything he said, or how he said it, but I do not like to lose any resources that can help us to better frogs.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
likewise

Dr. Frye has been a truly valuable resource for many of us. He's helped out in so many ways, trouble-shooting, diagnosing sick frogs, treating sick frogs. I think many of us are familiar with the gut-wrenching panic that sets in when one has no idea what to do next. I have to say that Dr. Frye has been there for many of us and I am thankful for that. I think he does what he does because he loves it and not for the money, so it made me sad to see so many shoot him down.

I know some people may have been offended by certain comments, but I think that he is in an awkward position of not being able to give medical advice (because of the potential repercussions). So I think sometimes he is unable to explain certain things because of this.

This is a forum for the free expression of ideas but I would caution people to at least think before they post first instincts or gut reactions. Sometimes, misguided comments cause a lot of damage and it's very difficult to undo. I feel like it's always best to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Learning experience

I decided to shove aside my dissapointments from this occurence and learn something from it. Maybe others can benefit from the lessons I derived from this too?

I learned to:

Remember that keeping exotics is not a science. Even a suggestion from a most knowlegeable keeper must be digested carefully and matched with my experience and that of others.

Not get offended. There are so many kinds of people with as many different senses of humor, etc. Even on this very thread people have reacted negatively to what I percieved as another's attempt to lighten up.

Remember that things come across differently when typed. Things could be typed with a smile and read like hate.

Remember that everyone else involved are human too, and I don't have to make their bad day my bad day, and visa versa.

I also learned to read and re-read. If I'm not sure about a post, I read it again five minutes later after doing something else and it will read completely different.

We're all in this for the same thing. While it's a shame that people being people got in the way of our common goals, maybe if we let people be people, we'd have fewer interruptions of this nature? I think everyone's heart on this board is in the right place, everyone's involved.

We were people, we brawled, now let's wipe the blood off of one another and go have a few beers and compare dart frog pics. Dr. Frye? Melissa? Everyone?

· Registered
566 Posts
You know the past few days has really shed a light on many of the members that was not there before. I have seen some very rude and snide remarks from people that I thought were into this hobby for the right reasons. Seems that many here are to imature to even realise that this man is an asset to our hobby. Just because he voiced his opinion did not make him a bad person nor did it mean that he did something wrong. If it does then there are a few people here who are just as wrong as the doctor. It amases me how people let pride or egos get in the way of simple things like a HOBBY. Just a little input from a insignificant frogger in Texas.

Peace,
TonyT

· Registered
266 Posts
First of all I would like to make sure everyone is aware that I am Melissa’s (aka melissa68’s) business partner. I have quietly sat in the background the last few months as these issues have flared up and calmed down and flared up again. I agree Dr. Frye was a valuable member of this forum. He still is a valuable member of the community and can still be reached whenever needed.

While I’m not aware of 100% of what has happened, I am aware of many things going on in the background that most members of this forum are unaware of. Some of those issues have been directed at me. Some have not. There have been many messages flying around this community that are disappointing to me. Before anyone screams that Melissa broke moderator confidentiality I want everyone to be aware that I know of these messages because they were sent directly to our email rather than utilizing private messaging. Anyone who has ever contacted us is aware that we both check the email account. I could do what I originally felt compelled to do and post them all. But I don’t feel that would be very professional.

I think we all can learn from the newest member to the most experienced breeder. I am sometimes reminded by the ‘beginners’ that you can still learn from them. Sometimes their questions make me think and have to do some research before I can answer them. I have learned some really invaluable information from people with less experience than I have. As for more experienced breeders….. I am amazed at the vast amount of knowledge packed in their heads. Listen to these guys! They have a wealth of information to pass on.

Just today I posted on the forum,
“I know we are awed at the friendships that we have developed because of this hobby. We have connected with so many intelligent, creative, talented people all because of the love of frogs. Dendroboard and Frognet are both invaluable resources to the hobby. I for one am very glad they are around.........”
I still agree with that post. Our first ‘dart frogs’ were three tadpoles. We morphed them out and fell in love with the hobby. We haven’t looked back since. The people we’ve met and the people we’ve connected with still amaze me. These are people that we otherwise would never have had the privilege to know (and I do mean privilege). I’m proud to say I’m a frog nut.

Additionally, I’m not sure how many members of this community are aware at the significant amount of time and money that goes into creating this resource. When we first found this board we were going to become a sponsor. However, when Melissa became a moderator we felt it would be a conflict of interest to advertise on the board. I do believe however, that to date the board sponsors have received free advertising. If I recall the first three months were free. The cost of advertising after that was very insignificant considering the audience. What I am getting at is that the only person that I am aware of spending any money out of pocket to provide this resource is Joe. This board is a privilege and not a right. I feel we should all be grateful to Joe for providing us with a place to gather.

I think I can speak for both Melissa and I when I say that neither of us have hard feelings toward ANY member of this community (this includes the Frye’s).

So I guess I’m asking…. Can we all just let this drop and get back to frogging?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.