Dendroboard banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
DR Frye,
assuming they are adult frogs sent, you will essentially be dealing with sexing wild caught frogs. some trends to look for is males will be generally more slender, will have the darkened throat pouch as Ben, Bill and Christina Have all vouched for, and males will generally seem a little more anxious, while female will tend to be more tranquil. For some reason the males often will be the ones that are running around collecting containers, while females seem to more often than not hunker down and "relax", or are often not as agitated or excitable . Also, mist the frogs like mad early in the morning and this will almost definetely ensure that any healthy mature males will call. simply separate out the calling males. Keep misting as you separate, because as you potentially remove larger, possible more dominant males, others smaller, younger, weaker? males may begin to call. In most cases healthy pumilio males should call.

wild females are generaly overall larger frogs, however wildones are not neccesarily fatter than males, though this is often the case, a better bet may be to look at the comparative body length of the frogs as females will usually be slightly longer than males. In captivity our frogs are often a lot fatter than their wild relatives, so be careful when sexing based on experiences with captive frogs, sometimes males in captivity are equally fat and even larger than females, but i have not found this to be the case in any populations i've seen in the wild, though my experience with pumilio is limited to a dozen or so costa rican populations. Some of the small panamanian forms may pose an interesting challenge.

hopefully all goes well with the shipment, they land safe and are in good health and using the advice provided by dendroboard members you should be able to sex them fairly accurately.

goodluck

mark

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.