Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I thought I had seen a baby Quinq in the tank with my adults the other day and confirmed it yesterday. I have never bred any other Adelphobates, but is this known behavior for this genus or species specifically? I know not many people breed Quinqs, but have any Galactonotus breeders seen this behavior? I have had the frogs for a few years and this is the first time I have seen it so maybe the little fella was just super lucky. I wanted to check in with other breeders to see if they have seen this in their frogs.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Soooo, no experience with this in any species of Adelphobates?

Mark

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nope! Haven't been lucky enough to breed my galactonatus yet...
Mark,
I've had the luck to experience both Quinq and Galac suprise offspring. For the galacs, i had long given up that I had a pair (assumed two females) for several years, only to find a baby hopping around last year.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark,
I've had the luck to experience both Quinq and Galac suprise offspring. For the galacs, i had long given up that I had a pair (assumed two females) for several years, only to find a baby hopping around last year.
That's great, Scott! Glad there is confirmation. Thought I might have been seeing things. No surprise that your Quinqs and my Quinqs are exhibiting the same behavior since yours are the parents of mine! Fortunately, I don't have to rely on them to take care of their own offspring or I would never have any Quinq babies :)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mark

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
They do not necessarily have to look after their offspring in order for babies to show up.

Tadpoles will eat detritus that falls into brom axels or ponds. Long ago when I kept Tincs I had a few babies show up unannounced - they definitely do not exhibit parental care. I'm pretty sure Adelphobates do not as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. Also makes sense that it doesn't happen more often if it is just luck of the draw.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts