Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking about this for quite some time. Maybe longwing, deadleaf, or cleawing.Butterflies could be natural pollenators for the plants, feeding would be easy since I leave fruit for ff and springtails. and by adding them they give my vivarium more of a natural rainforest look.Breeding would done in a different container with host plant, and would be replace as needed. So, what do you think.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I know nothing about butterflies....But I do know their flight pattern is impossible to predict. How do you plan on keeping them inside the viv during misting/feeding times? I would think the bigger the enclosure, the easier it would be to get away with them. Cool idea though.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I like the idea if the viv was big enough. Would you be ordering them in chrysalis form?

·
Registered
342 Posts
interesting idea. i have my new 180 up and possibly could house a couple with my mints. but i wonder if my mints would want to chomp on them.

AG

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know nothing about butterflies....But I do know their flight pattern is impossible to predict. How do you plan on keeping them inside the viv during misting/feeding times? I would think the bigger the enclosure, the easier it would be to get away with them. Cool idea though.
by opening my vivarium at min.,the use of a rainmaker.,using automatic live feeder,and stocking my vivarium with a less active sp. like deadleaf wich spends a great deal on the ground.and maybe moths for night activity.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting idea. i have my new 180 up and possibly could house a couple with my mints. but i wonder if my mints would want to chomp on them.

AG
The ones I mention are to big for your mints to consider for food, except for the clearwings.Or you want might consider moths.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There're thousands of different sp. of tropical moths, and butterflies. With that # l believe its all choosing the right sp. to fill that nitch in our virrarium.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'd imagine they need a good amount of airflow though. Maybe it could work in a large tank, I'm thinking 180g+ as a minimum but more being ideal. I know nothing about butterflies though and this is just an assumption of mine after observing a few tropical species I saw in Costa Rica. It would be awesome to have some Blue Morphos flying around in a viv!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Awesome idea. If you implement these please let us know.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
One thought, arent their wings super delicate, and wouldnt being exposed to the misting system potentially damage them?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thought, arent their wings super delicate, and wouldnt being exposed to the misting system potentially damage them?
being tropical I'm assuming the butterflies are very use to strong downpours.The plant leaves in my vivarium will also provide some shelter too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The butterflies I have choosen, have weak points as well as strong points.

strong points;

longwings long lived (over 9 months+), colorful
deadleafs not a very active flier
cleawings small
moths active at night

weak points;

longwings active flier
deadleafs drab in color
cleawings small, kinda hard to spot
moths drab in color, active at night

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Really interesting idea.....Tagging along.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd imagine they need a good amount of airflow though. Maybe it could work in a large tank, I'm thinking 180g+ as a minimum but more being ideal. I know nothing about butterflies though and this is just an assumption of mine after observing a few tropical species I saw in Costa Rica. It would be awesome to have some Blue Morphos flying around in a viv!
l believe morpho would be to active for vivarium.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
being tropical I'm assuming the butterflies are very use to strong downpours.The plant leaves in my vivarium will also provide some shelter too.

A misting system functions differently than a strong downpour. In a downpour the butterflies can usually get under some form of shelter and avoid a lot of the direct impact (a waterlogged butterfly is in a lot of trouble). A misting system in an enclosed enviroment is a problem as there isn't any way to avoid the direct impact of the misting.

Butterflies need a lot of space, and a lot of species can be somewhat aggressive to one another, and can attempt to drive one another away from food areas and deposition sites. Also you have to look and see if the species defends open areas to look for mates (analagous to skipper butterflies in North America).

Room sized or larger enclosures are going to give you the best chance of having it work.. but be prepared for total failure.

Ed

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A misting system functions differently than a strong downpour. In a downpour the butterflies can usually get under some form of shelter and avoid a lot of the direct impact (a waterlogged butterfly is in a lot of trouble). A misting system in an enclosed enviroment is a problem as there isn't any way to avoid the direct impact of the misting.

Butterflies need a lot of space, and a lot of species can be somewhat aggressive to one another, and can attempt to drive one another away from food areas and deposition sites. Also you have to look and see if the species defends open areas to look for mates (analagous to skipper butterflies in North America).

Room sized or larger enclosures are going to give you the best chance of having it work.. but be prepared for total failure.

Ed
Yes Ed, I see thats trrue of the Skippers. but what about others sp., Deadleafs, and Surfurs? I often see them in pics acting, and feeding communical. What if , I only kept in true pr. to cut down on aggression? what about for the moths that hide in the leaf litter by day? would they be a good for what I'm trying to do?
Sometimes I see photos.,showing butterflies with beads of water their wings.Dont this shows that butterflies are able to repel some water.
Thank you Ed, for weighing in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts