Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I plan on building a viv for a pair of Azureus and would like to know if the presence of a background on one or more walls of the tank is required or not.

I'd like to simply put a stump-like driftwood center piece in the middle of the tank, attach some broms to it and surround it with lots of plants.

Will the broms/plants combined with leaf litter provide enough hiding places for the frogs?

From what I've read, D. Azureus are pretty bold and do not really climb so I think it don't need it but if adding a background will make those frogs even bolder/feel safer I'll just go ahead and add one.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It is not necessarily, it just makes things look more complete and natural. It does help the frogs to feel more secure, too, but if that is all you are concerned with, you can get the same effect by adding brown or black contact paper to the outside of your viv. You can also spraypaint the outside of your viv black but contact paper seems a much simpler method to me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi, I plan on building a viv for a pair of Azureus and would like to know if the presence of a background on one or more walls of the tank is required or not.
Not required

[/QUOTE]I'd like to simply put a stump-like driftwood center piece in the middle of the tank, attach some broms to it and surround it with lots of plants. [/QUOTE]

Perfect.

[/QUOTE]Will the broms/plants combined with leaf litter provide enough hiding places for the frogs?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.060582,-117.285741

·
Registered
599 Posts
You don't need a background. For me, since I'm not very artistic and am impatient, I usually just lean wood up against the back, that way they can go behind the wood to hide. I use plants to "hide" that there's not a background.
That being said, I wish I was one of the people who can plan out what they want to do and make it look amazing. Then I probably would have backgrounds in all of my tanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Considering the tank in question is 18x18x18 inches and the D. Azureus will only use the ground floor is the 1-2 inches of space lost (back, left and right) from the Great Stuff backgrounds really worth it?

Am I better off removing the central piece or will they have enough ground surface?

If it offers an adequate environment for the frogs and won't have them hiding all the time, I would really like to go with the idea described in the OP (driftwood/no bg), as it is the most aesthetically pleasing to me.

Please keep in mind that these frogs are supposed to be bold by nature (can anyone confirm?) when answering.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Azures are very bold my pair which I have had for a year are always out and about. They almost never hide and when it's feeding time they sit and wait for the flys to be dropped in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
why not buy an 18x18 piece of cork bark which is like 1/2-3/4 inch and just silicone it to the back wall? It looks good, takes no artistic creativity, and doesnt take up much space at all.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I like having some background. Not always the entire background. I use clay and it's nice for sticking vines into. Sometimes I just put globs of clay where I want vines.

Anyway, I think your azureus will climb a little more than you think they will. They'll use wood and slopes and some of your background if here is enough horizontalish texture to it.

Either way, I think you're good; background or not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts