Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have two male SIs, but I’m thinking of adding at least one female. Debating if I should try to find two females, for pairs, or if just one would be okay, as a trio? Yeah, I know, they’ll breed like mad in any case. That’s why I’m keeping my smaller tank set up, to give the lady frog(s) a break from time to time.

-I know male heavy is preferred, so maybe 2.1 or 3.1 would be the way to go (but not 2.2). I’ve seen some give 4.1 and 3.2 as “ideal” combos. I’m not sure id want to crowd the tank with as many as five. The tank I’m working with, a bit an usual, is a hexagon, volume at about 25H or so. I’m in the middle adding some things, but can post a picture in the next day or two to give some sense of how I’m planning the space (plants are sparse, of course, but you can see the vertical space and things that I’ve built. For now, the two eligible bachelors:

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but I have a similar inquiry. I currently have two male SIs, but I’m thinking of adding at least one female. Debating if I should try to find two females, for pairs, or if just one would be okay, as a trio? Yeah, I know, they’ll breed like mad in any case. That’s why I’m keeping my smaller tank set up, to give the lady frog(s) a break from time to time.
Two females will eat each other’s eggs with some aggression in between.

If you want to keep a female in the smaller tank and then switch them out, that’s fine. Just make sure you safely transfer them in between tanks.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but I have a similar inquiry. I currently have two male SIs, but I’m thinking of adding at least one female. Debating if I should try to find two females, for pairs, or if just one would be okay, as a trio? Yeah, I know, they’ll breed like mad in any case. That’s why I’m keeping my smaller tank set up, to give the lady frog(s) a break from time to time.
Definitely hijacking and deserving of its own thread. There are many variables in this post that need to be spelled out before an intelligent response can be made. First and foremost would be the size of tank that you plan to house the group. Second piece of advice is to not put any frog, or any other animal, in a position where it is "bred to death". Rotating females to ease the burden on any one individual female isn't ethical keeping practices in my opinion.

If you want to keep a female in the smaller tank and then switch them out, that’s fine. Just make sure you safely transfer them in between tanks.
Maybe maybe not to your first comment.

For the second comment, again, I think there is the matter of the best interest of the animal involved in the decision here. If someone is in a situation where they "need" to rotate females from an enclosure for the animals' health, there are likely serious flaws in the setup, not to mention questions that revolve around ethical keeping of animals. There are other natural methods to slow down breeding such as reducing misting/humidity/feeding etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Ah yes, I had heard about the egg eating and aggression, but also getting kind of an “it depends” whether or not two females might be okay with each other sense as well. Like no way to know if their personalities will clash...I don’t know if I would want them to be in constant rotation. I suppose I mostly meant I would test them both in the alternate tank, were I to get two, to get a sense if there would be problems...And not so much alternate, but have that option to separate for any reason, very occasionally only.

Definitely hijacking and deserving of its own thread. There are many variables in this post that need to be spelled out before an intelligent response can be made. First and foremost would be the size of tank that you plan to house the group. Second piece of advice is to not put any frog, or any other animal, in a position where it is "bred to death". Rotating females to ease the burden on any one individual female isn't ethical keeping practices in my opinion.

Maybe maybe not to your first comment.

For the second comment, again, I think there is the matter of the best interest of the animal involved in the decision here. If someone is in a situation where they "need" to rotate females from an enclosure for the animals' health, there are likely serious flaws in the setup, not to mention questions that revolve around ethical keeping of animals. There are other natural methods to slow down breeding such as reducing misting/humidity/feeding etc.
Which, yes, my thought was to avoid the breeding being detrimental, if other inhibitors like a dry season are not working consistently enough. My concern was that a male heavy group would regularly be burdening a single female, and if I find that to be the case...I have the space to set her up on her own for a while.

I suppose this is all to say, I’d like to add another frog or two, when my work in progress tank is ready. I am considering size and space (it’s a little over 20H, but not quite 30H --a hexagon, so not the usual 18x18x24). I’ll edit my OP with more details.

I agree that this is a great question that deserves its own thread, so it has been moved here. :)
Thanks for moving this to a new thread! Apologies for the hijacking!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just posting the WIP tank build that will house them. I have a separate thread for input. But also to bump this thread to see if there’s any further input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts