Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first actual post on here, although I have been a lurker for months. I am deep in the building process of my 65 gallon paludarium for small tree frogs (Green, Argus, etc) and have run into a snag. (There will be a full build thread as soon as I organize the pictures taken).

The background is GS foam covered in peat/silicone mixture with mopani wood sealed in, as well as some Raf style vines made from sheet XPS insulation and poly rope. It has a drip wall that is on a timer and flows a steady stream for two hours twice a day.

I am making a moss mix of 50% riccia, java moss and christmas moss and 50% dried sphagnum blended up. How do I actually go about attaching this mix to the peat background, I can tie it to the driftwood, but how have you guys found is the most efficient way to attach it to a vertical wall? (I want it all to be covered). Any and all opinions would be very helpful. Thanks guys!!

-Jordan Kingsley

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I just did this yesterday.
What i did was, I added water to make it a thin paste. I then picked it up and tapped it onto the wall with my fingers. Making sure it was all gripping onto the rough background and surfaces. It took awhile and much of it fell off.

I think the idea is to get the spores onto the surface. Once it grows in spots, the humidity will let it all spread to the areas in between.
Also, tons of light helps.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can also use a bit of clay to help act as a glue to improve the adhesion.

For larger chunks, when using a GS background, just use common household staples. This is a trick I've been using for years. Works really well for creeping fig ivy. Lets you put them where you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I prefer to put the moss into a blender.
After that i add some water until i get a slimy paste and brush it onto moist Wood or the wall (treefern panel in my pic, but peat covered walls also work , especially if combined with a dripwall)

Before and After (5month):
SDC10892.jpg

SDC11037 - Kopie.jpg

Just be patient and use much ligth.
Sorry for my english ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
put it in the blender with a lil water and brush it on with a small brush. all you need is those spores and you're good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts