Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another discussion, Ed mentioned that recently there has been a migration towards larger tanks. Smaller tank sizes that were once used are now too small.

I woke up this morning, and thought "OH!, because a 29 gallon aquarium is really a 10 gallon aquarium."

See, also in the discussion was plant density.

There are 2 dimensions on a tank that really matter in my opinion. Length and width.

If I take a 10 gallon aquarium and paint the back wall black. cover the bottom with gravel and sheet moss, and put a coco hut in the center back and a small plant on each end. I have a floor space that is 10 x 20.

If I take a 29 gallon (12 x 36) Add a 4 inch thick background, a nice pc of driftwood, a small pond, and plant heavily. I have a floor space that is 8 x 20.
I started out with an aquarium 3 times larger and ended up with less floor space.

As the hobby progresses, and advances are made in naturalistic vivaria, are tanks getting bigger? or are they actually getting smaller, but taking up more room in your house?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Lol...that's probably true. But you'll also probably notice the longer someones in the hobby the less complicated their tank designs are. You often wont see the waterfalls and ponds because they do take up the floor space. The tank design should really be for the frog....but if you are going to design it for you and the frog you better go bigger.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Lol...that's probably true. But you'll also probably notice the longer someones in the hobby the less complicated their tank designs are. You often wont see the waterfalls and ponds because they do take up the floor space. The tank design should really be for the frog....but if you are going to design it for you and the frog you better go bigger.
It also depends upon where the tank is located. If the tanks are in a frog room, they tend to be more simple, but you will notice that the tanks in many long time froggers that are located in the living areas of their home, these tanks are often larger and more complicated, ie. more beautiful.

·
Banned
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It also depends upon where the tank is located. If the tanks are in a frog room, they tend to be more simple, but you will notice that the tanks in many long time froggers that are located in the living areas of their home, these tanks are often larger and more complicated, ie. more beautiful.
That's because you spend years wishing and planning the perfect display vivarium

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah I am quite new.. and definately see what your talking about. I think it is because the hobby is expanding into new grounds and reaching (dare i say it) a younger (bigger, better, faster) generation. I see younger people picking up frogs at shows, asking me questions about my setups and immediately rushing out to buy a 29 and as many cans of spray foam and silicone and a pump as they can get their hands on (even though I only have one foam tank, and it was only that way because I bought it that way and dont have a single waterfall).
Every new person I have talked about the hobby, within the first 10 minutes of the conversation, a water fall comes up. I luckily research the crap out of a hobby before I get into it. I stumbled across this hobby by accident. I was wanting to build a paludarium with water feature etc. Started researching what I could keep in them. Realized there wasnt much. Researched some more. Led to dart frogs. Then my research focused on darts and their habitats. Led to dendroboard and here I am. I keep my rack simple but do have a larger display with some wood, clay background, and of course my fav frogs the leucs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts