Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i bought a paludarium filter for my tank but the water is not deep enough to have this vertically, which is annoying. It wont even work upside down so im thinking of building in a filter to the waterfall with a mesh bag of charcoal powered by a normal aquarium pump instead. Even to just have the bag underneath the pump might work just as well?

Question - is it better to have the water running through the bag, ie in the waterfall, or can i just place the bag in the tank and let it do the job passively. Im thinking the first option since it will maximise the amount of water going through it (althogh will require some tinkering with hollow rocks) - but interested to know if other people have done the same.

thanks,
Matthew

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
I don’t know much about FBTs and what kind of filtration they require, but for any effective filtration you really need something that is easily accessible and can be replaced. Carbon filters for fish tanks usually last about a month. The easiest way to make filtration accessible in a paludarium is a sump.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yep - the pump will be in an accessible box at the back with a lid, and i was going to add in some features to hide it - i will be able to change the bag when necessary. My existing tank does ok with a small filter but i was thinking of adding in some fish to this one so the filter is probably necessary for them, but as well as the mechanical solution proposed here, the plants would offer a biological filter (plus other clean up crew). I think i can just get away with adding the bag next to the filter - there wont be any large particulates anyway since the whole thing will behind a coco husk “pre filter” which allows water through but stops anything else

·
Administrator
6,492 Posts
I'd strongly recommend against mixing fish and amphibians in the same viv. They share a multitude of pathogens (notably Aeromonas, the most common bacterial pathogen of frogs) and ornamental fish can all be assumed to be asymptomatic carriers of many of them including multidrug resistant strains, considering the shortcomings of their supply chain and associated poor handling.

Every new pathogen or pathogen strain transferred into captive herp populations (whether though cohabitation, poor biosafety/hygene procedures within collections, or from wild collected animals) causes more headaches for all other keepers.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Thanks, yep - the pump will be in an accessible box at the back with a lid, and i was going to add in some features to hide it - i will be able to change the bag when necessary. My existing tank does ok with a small filter but i was thinking of adding in some fish to this one so the filter is probably necessary for them, but as well as the mechanical solution proposed here, the plants would offer a biological filter (plus other clean up crew). I think i can just get away with adding the bag next to the filter - there wont be any large particulates anyway since the whole thing will behind a coco husk “pre filter” which allows water through but stops anything else
Hey Minch,

I filter most of my FBT tanks by running a filter pump with no media, and having floating plants and other fast growing water loving plants (Pothos being one) that pull nutrients out of the water.

I've bred and raised many FBT's in this exact setup with no issues - healthy tadpoles, froglets and frogs.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hey Minch,

I filter most of my FBT tanks by running a filter pump with no media, and having floating plants and other fast growing water loving plants (Pothos being one) that pull nutrients out of the water.

I've bred and raised many FBT's in this exact setup with no issues - healthy tadpoles, froglets and frogs.
I should mention, I don't run any waterfalls though. Areas are either aquatic, or terrestrial and do not mix (aside from the frogs being able to access both areas!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every new pathogen or pathogen strain transferred into captive herp populations (whether though cohabitation, poor biosafety/hygene procedures within collections, or from wild collected animals) causes more headaches for all other keepers.
Thank you! I was not aware of this. Last thing i want is to introduce issues by mixing species - will rethink this approach -sounds better to keep them all separated…

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you - im doing well with the pothos, seems to be the only plant thriving in my tank actually! Was going to have some of those in there anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd strongly recommend against mixing fish and amphibians in the same viv. They share a multitude of pathogens (notably Aeromonas, the most common bacterial pathogen of frogs) and ornamental fish can all be assumed to be asymptomatic carriers of many of them including multidrug resistant strains, considering the shortcomings of their supply chain and associated poor handling.

^this^
...plus, in general carbon filter makes no sense as it is made to absorb chemicals from water or, alternatively, remove medicine traces after treatments in acquariums but i doubt you plan to have any of those, also, carbons will eventually saturate and become inactive when not releasing chemicals in water again on the long run.

·
Administrator
6,492 Posts
Activated carbon also removes organics responsible for water discoloration, improving water clarity for aesthetic and plant illumination purposes, as well as removing organic toxins released by animal inhabitants (allopathic chemical defenses of cnidaria in coral reef tanks, and likely skin alkaloids secreted by amphibians).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts