Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will clay stick to the back of an acrylic tank? I tried using the search, but couldn't find anything specific. I've got the opportunity to pick up a really sweet 300g acrylic tank and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a background. I don't really wanna do another GS\Silicone background.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have not done a clay background on acrylic, only GS, but I would think it would hold as long as you scuffed up the acrylic first with a scotchbrite or sandpaper first.

·
Registered
112 Posts
WOW!!!

ok well if you cant decide on a background im sure i can..... send it to my house :)

awesome tank!! i want it sooooooo bad!

an option i know will work is gorilla glue and some cork bark and do a mosaic with moss :) kinda boring tho with such a large canvas to work with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no clue what i'm going to do yet or how it set it up. But just with it's size alone my options are pretty endless.

The tank is roughly 96 x 30 x 35 so around 430gal-ish.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Go with the cork/moss background. I still don't understand the love of clay backgrounds. Its so easy to do, and the plant growth you get is excellent because the roots penetrate deeply into the moss between cork pieces. You can attach your cork bark and plant your BG in the same day. Add wood, cork tubes, etc for increased surface area

·
Registered
987 Posts
That is an awesome tank! I agree with frogparty, I think the cork/gs background would look alot better than the clay. It would be more work, but would work better in the end IMO.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
anyone got pics or a link to the cork and moss bg's? N\M... I searched :)
Here are some cork bark and moss backgrounds for you. You silicone pieces of cork to the back glass. After it dries, you stuff damp sphagnum moss into all the cracks and crevasses. I like to shine a bright light from the back so you can be sure to fill every crack. Then you can push bits of live moss into the sphagnum here and there to get the moss growth started. A lot of the time, the sphagnum will sprout new growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Yup. I HATE HATE HATE GS and silicone backgrounds. What a pain in the ass, and plants roots can't penetrate in for a sturdier foothold, and theres no moss pockets to help keep a moisture reserve for plant roots either. If you use gorilla glue to secure the cork, theres no waiting several days for a good cure and vapor dissipation either. Clay also seems like a major pain in the ass to me. But hey, to each their own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts