Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to show you guys my latest invention :) It was getting to be annoying to deal with all the tupperware, so I decided to organize my tadpoles a little. They're now organized vertically in drawers. I don't have too much room on my bench in the frog room so drastic measures had to be taken.
I will be making a 2nd cabinet, next to it, but with one column of sloping drawers to serve as beached setups where tads will be able to crawl out

Let me know what you think.

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
Looks great for non-cannibalistic tads.

This is my solution *for* cannibalistic tads... the trays were made by Paul (FCA). The bottles from from ABC (bottle company).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wow, very impressive you guys...hey marty, do the tads get enough O2 in the closed drawers?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like your setup!

Even the canibalistic tads. If not crowded they are perfectly OK. They set up territories and if the tad size is the same there are no problems. If a tad is weak and not developing properly it will get eaten, healthy tads fend for themselves and are OK. If a size diff is visible I split them up. I haven't had any problems, in fact my tads are much, much larger and stronger now then when I had them in individual cups.

Scott said:
Looks great for non-cannibalistic tads.

This is my solution *for* cannibalistic tads... the trays were made by Paul (FCA). The bottles from from ABC (bottle company).

G

·
I really like that setup. That's something that should be put on the market. I for one would buy it if it were reasonable. Were the drawers a custom job or something he usually sells?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it was custom. I wanted to fit it in that space. This acrylic guy owed me some favours, so what better way to redeem the debt :) I am very pleased with the "Tad space saver" :lol:

CFeeney said:
I really like that setup. That's something that should be put on the market. I for one would buy it if it were reasonable. Were the drawers a custom job or something he usually sells?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very nice!!

There was a similar setup I saw using nuts and bolts type shelf containers.

Some of those are quite big but probably not as big as yours Marty.

SB

·
Registered
621 Posts
hey scott i
just bought that same rack system yesterday. It is really cool because you can just add and add till it strectches around the whole room. I bought it at the local do-it center from my friends mom. I didnt catch the name of the manufacturer and she said it was purchased at a show of some kind. Ill probably buy up their whole stock for a deal, cause it isnt moving. i guess it takes a frogger to see potential.

hey marty, what do you do with the cannibals? you should create a system like that, it could be way more usefull.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
With these "tad-racks" how do you accomidate when the tads are morphing into froglets, meaning, how do you provide sloping water when legs emerge?

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Both of you seem to be using java moss in with your tads? Can I ask why? Also how do you get it to grow in the water? So you have more of it. I have some in a small fish bowl that is still alive, but does not seem to grow.

G

·
that tadpole organizer is very cool, i'm jealous, and for many reasons.
1) you have a nifty little tadpole organizer drawer
2) you have the need for a tadpole drawer
3) you're way more organized than I will ever be. I'm hoping you cleaned everything up right before you took that picture.

I, on the other hand, would love to be/have all of those things one day. although I doubt I'll ever be that organized. right now I have fly cultures all over the house, springtails everywhere along with broms and other tropical plants. it's a real mess. :roll:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Java moss can live with little light, but to grow it you need a pretty good amount of light.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm getting another organizer like that one, but one bank of drawers will be sloped for the morphing tads. It will be another week or two.

kleinhanz said:
With these "tad-racks" how do you accomidate when the tads are morphing into froglets, meaning, how do you provide sloping water when legs emerge?

·
Registered
465 Posts
with the lids on the drawers- is there enough air exchange for the tads? Looks great- just need to add an auto water changing system, with a feeder, and you can take vacations-
TQ

G

·
In southwestern ontario java moss , oak leaves are everywhere , much easier to obtain then the frogs :roll: Marty WHAT KIND of tads are you raising in the new set up ?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oak leaves are all over the place, but Java moss is aquatic...I don't think you can find it here... I thought it was tropical.

I got alanis, g/b auratus and azureus tads in those boxes.

zoso said:
In southwestern ontario java moss , oak leaves are everywhere , much easier to obtain then the frogs :roll: Marty WHAT KIND of tads are you raising in the new set up ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts