Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone made their lid from acrylic plastic? Its seem way safer than glass and easier to cut… any input?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
has anyone made their lid from acrylic plastic? Its seem way safer than glass and easier to cut… any input?
only downfall from acrylic it will tend to warp after a few months, for $10bucks or less you can go to ace hardware or lowes and get a piece of glass cut and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
if you buy it from the store, they will cut it for you. as far as the holes go they won't drill circular holes in it--ace hardware and lowes won't anyways, but there are tons of videos on youtube on how to drill the glass. a glass shop will drill the circular holes for you, but they will charge you per hole. for what you can buy a few glass drilling bits for would be cheaper than having the glass shop do it for you and then you will have your own bits for the next time around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
+ 1 on warping. I have tried Acrylic tops on a few aquariums without any success. They always warp, the bigger the sheet, the more deformation. Lowes also sells Sheets of Lexan now, which is a bit different from acrylic and would probably stand up better. However, it is expensive, and as the other posters here have said, glass is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
That's true. Lexan will NOT warp and is easy to drill but be prepared for the price. It's not cheap.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lexan (polycarbonate) warps. It just resists warping better than plexiglass (acrylic) does. The thicker the sheet is, the better it will resist warp. I had a 3/16" thick door made of Lexan and it warped. I've heard of people using 1/4" with no warping problems so you could try that out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does glass reflect heat more than acylic? i know that light penetrates glass better than acrylic..

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
does glass reflect heat more than acylic? i know that light penetrates glass better than acrylic..
Actually, visible light penetrates acrylic better than glass. A piece of double strength (about 1/8") glass will transmit only 82% of the visible spectrum. A like piece of clear acrylic will transmit around 90%. I am comparing standard sheet glass to standard clear acrylic here. I'm not taking specialties like expensive starfire glass into account here.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Actually, visible light penetrates acrylic better than glass. A piece of double strength (about 1/8") glass will transmit only 82% of the visible spectrum. A like piece of clear acrylic will transmit around 90%. I am comparing standard sheet glass to standard clear acrylic here. I'm not taking specialties like expensive starfire glass into account here.

so what % does the lexan allow light through?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
so what % does the lexan allow light through?
I'm afraid I have never had reason to look that one up.
so most of you folks use 1/8 inch glass im assuming?
While there are a lot of 1/8" lids out there, that is not where my stats come from. I own an insulated glass unit replacement service (window company). My stats come from my window glass manufacturer in a stats sheet that is comparing various spectrum penetration to various LowE coatings versus clear glass.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Lexan has also been known to leach in water. I'm willing to bet our tanks are humid enough to cause problems.

I have tanks made from 2/3 inch thick plexi glass and they dont warp but the original lids sure did, even at that thickness!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm afraid I have never had reason to look that one up.

While there are a lot of 1/8" lids out there, that is not where my stats come from. I own an insulated glass unit replacement service (window company). My stats come from my window glass manufacturer in a stats sheet that is comparing various spectrum penetration to various LowE coatings versus clear glass.
so knowing what you do for a living Doug, does this give you access to make some sweet monster sized tanks?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts