Dendroboard banner

Acrylic piano hinge and Acrylic door catch from P.O.T.T

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Rain_Frog 
#1 ·
Just interested in seeing if anyone has used Peace of the Tropics piano hinges on their front opening tanks as well as the Acrylic door catch and if so what you guys thought of the products?

Also if anyone can post any pics. of these products on there tanks I would appreciate it?
Thanks for your help
ADAM

#3 ·
Adam,
I have the small hinges and the hasp on my acrylic enclosures and use the piano hinges on my vertical enclosures. I can send you pics if you like. I'm not crazy about the hasp..... but the hinges are great and work well for horizontal or vertical applications.
Ed

#6 ·
Well I havent broken a tank yet and I have made 3 of them ( working on my 4th this afternoon ). I take a hacksaw and cut through the plastic trim about twice on each side, then carefully work the pieces with my fingers pulling it off. With some patience, strong hands and luck it will turn out fine. Stay away from using any other tools such as pliers or screwdrivers to pry the trim off as that is when you will break the glass. Also remember the edges under the trim usually still have a pretty sharp edge so sand them after the additional silicon is taken off with a razor blade. I will take pics of my work this afternoon and probably post on Monday.

Rob

#10 ·
Plastic Hinge

Canal Plastics, located on Canal Street in NYC, they have all sorts of great pieces and pretty good prices as well. The best part is that they are located about 10 minutes from where I work.

rob

G
#11 ·
taking the trim off tanks

Hey I was just wondering if you guys took the trim off the backside of the 10gal vert as well? Doesnt the tank loose its structural integrety without the trim? or no??.. As in... does it wable at all with just the silicon keeping it together. I have 3 -10gal setting around , and want to know these things before I go ripping their trim off.

Thanks Swann

#16 ·
about the hinge, how wide of an angle will it swing? I want it to make some normal, side opening doors on a tank that is 20 inches tall, however, really, 15" if you forget about the bottom front piece to hold in the water, substrate, etc. Does it leave a wide gap inbetween glass and hinge on areas not covered by the hinge? (i.e. greater than than 12")

Should I just buy from outwater instead? Therefore, I could maybe cut those things down to size, but I believe they can't swing as wide of an angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.