Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a second Amiracle minireef filter at That Fish Place. One of the inside bonds has come loose and the filter doesn't work properly. It holds water but the water doesn't flow properly through the filter. I have to bond a piece about 8 inches long into place.

I have never bonded acrylic before. What is best to use? If I bring the filter to IAD can some expert "glue" it for me?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
One of the weld-on products would probably be best...I'm no expert, but I'd say if the unit is pretty clean, and you're parts fit together without much gap, then use weld-on 4...if there are irregularities (gaps) I would use the thicker glue, #16.
I'm sure Mr Acrylic (FCA :D ) will see this post sooner or later and give his expert advice.
If I were going to IAD, I'd be more than happy to give a shot at fixing it for you...however I'm stuck doing inventory :evil:

·
Registered
665 Posts
If you are positive the filter is made out of acrylic and not any other material the Weld-On products should work great for that. But if this filter is mass produced, it probably wouldnt be made out of acrylic, but a material that could be injection molded. Aquarium Grade silicon might be your best bet in this case.

Rob

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
rjmarchisi said:
If you are positive the filter is made out of acrylic and not any other material the Weld-On products should work great for that. But if this filter is mass produced, it probably wouldnt be made out of acrylic, but a material that could be injection molded. Aquarium Grade silicon might be your best bet in this case.

Rob
FYI...I work at an injection molding facility...we work with acrylic all the time.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's acrylic. It's a pretty fancy filter. I'll drag it along to IAD since it's so soon. That way I can get expert advice and not bullocks it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts