Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few years, I've noticed there are some things that I probably wouldn't have liked or at the least, grown to tolerate. What are the acquired "tastes" you've picked up?

Without frogging, I wouldn't-

-like the smell of some commercial fly medias as much as I do (before the flies go in ;))

-be cool with seeing the occasional fruit fly wander across the floor

-have interest in plants & culturing bugs

-be as interested in the shy/skittish frogs... when i started, I didn't think I'd end up with any, now they make up a good 1/3 of my collection

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
-be interested in O. pumilio, never really was interested before but the past few weeks been on a pumilio splurge for some reason...

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
BUGS! There are bugs on the TV, bugs over my computer, bugs all over the frog room. I know, that surprises some of you. Who would've though Doug was into the bugs?!

Leaf litter. Back in my old school days, I had lush green fields of moss in viv after viv. Jumping back in it was all about leaf litter. I thought it was ugly. Now I love it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
BUGS! There are bugs on the TV, bugs over my computer, bugs all over the frog room. I know, that surprises some of you. Who would've though Doug was into the bugs?!

Leaf litter. Back in my old school days, I had lush green fields of moss in viv after viv. Jumping back in it was all about leaf litter. I thought it was ugly. Now I love it.
You have bugs?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I didn't aquire any new tolerences that I didn't have before but less importent than my tolerences are those of my spouse.... She is very tolerent of most of the bugs except when the bean beetles start trying to crawl on her legs when she is on the computer... and the time the banana roach showed up in the bed... or the times I was trying to set up a termite colony... or the time the blackworms made a mass escape attempt in the refrigerator...or the several times I dropped a cup full of dusted fruit flies in the kitchen...

Ed

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Before frogs I never grew a single plant or even wanted to now I can't stop....Would have called you either crazy or a fool for buying $20-$30 of leaf litter "You did what?". Have always liked isopods but never would have thought I would be making cultures of them......

Reactions: RikRok

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How about a new taste for frogs which replaced and totally removed my aquired taste for reef tanks.
Totally agree....Took 3 weeks to make the decision to go to frogs after seeing some varadero pic on a reef forum that was after 25+ years of reefing straight...

·
Registered
365 Posts
How about a new taste for frogs which replaced and totally removed my aquired taste for reef tanks.
Yup. Except for me it was snakes. I've reduced my collection down to three, while my frog collection has tripled in the past two years. And the only reason I still have three snakes is because I can't seem to sell them. Otherwise, the frogs would own every inch of my herp room.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally agree....Took 3 weeks to make the decision to go to frogs after seeing some varadero pic on a reef forum that was after 25+ years of reefing straight...
Wasn't my avatar was it? :D

Edit... nevermind, haven't been on that forum as long as you've been here haha

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I didn't aquire any new tolerences that I didn't have before but less importent than my tolerences are those of my spouse.... She is very tolerent of most of the bugs except when the bean beetles start trying to crawl on her legs when she is on the computer... and the time the banana roach showed up in the bed... or the times I was trying to set up a termite colony... or the time the blackworms made a mass escape attempt in the refrigerator...or the several times I dropped a cup full of dusted fruit flies in the kitchen...

Ed
haha.... I once watched a rogue roach run across the floor (escape from the terribilis tank) and right past my wife. However, just before she saw it our cat took it out. Thank god!

As for me, being fine with getting covered in all kinds of bugs while searching for frogs. Never thought I would be a field guy but I love it.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Maggots and flies, but, especially maggots.

I once had a very nice stock pot that I kept on top of my stove. It was supposed to be clean. I left it up there for a while, thinking it was clean. When I went to use it, it was full of maggots. I vomited and then threw away the pot instead of cleaning it. I knew I would never cook food in it again.

Now I have flies and maggots in their own special drawers. I check them every day and wish there were more flies and maggots. When I had a skinny frog, I tried to spoon some maggots off the container. When that resulted in smooshed maggots, I figured out that my fingernails work much better. If a ff gets in my drink I try to fish him out, but, if he sinks, oh well, bottoms up. :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Mine has been the smell of the jungle in my room, especially when I open tanks to feed, mist, etc... If my room smelled like that in the past I knew it was about time to do laundry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts