Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new around here. So id like to say Hi everyone.! Been browsing for a little while but never commented. I'm about to start a Viv. Everyone's on here look awsome and inspired me. Lots of helpful info. I'm looking to get some d. Azureus. Would a 29 gallon aquarium. 30"x12"x18" or a exoterra 18"x18"x18" work better. I kinda like to exoterra idea Alittle more and it would only cost a extra couple dollars. How many mature azureus could I keep in this? A pair? Or a trio or more. Thanks and I'm sure ill have more questions sometime. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Either tank is okay, just depends on what you want. You have a little more floor space with the tank, but I dont think it is enough to matter. My azureus like the ground and climbing both. You could keep a trio with the space you have, but azureus do much better in pairs. You do not want to have two females in the tank or you will see aggression. If you are buying older frogs that can be sexed, either by a pair or two males and a female. But if you are buying froglets, buy three and hope. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks jrgobble. I think imma go with the exoterra. I think it'd be more accessible cause the front opens. Do you have a water feature in your Viv? I seen some videos of them walking through water and dosent seem like they hate it or anything.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Ok thanks jrgobble. I think imma go with the exoterra. I think it'd be more accessible cause the front opens. Do you have a water feature in your Viv? I seen some videos of them walking through water and dosent seem like they hate it or anything.
It's not that azureus hate water features, it's more about making the best use of floor space. So when you are considering how to design the tank, you have to think: would they rather a stream and 3" deep pond that collectively takes up almost half of the floor space, or a rather open floor with leaf litter, some plants to climb (but not enough to get in the way), and maybe a small pool or bowl with water? I would either skip a water feature, or if you choose to do one, keep it as small and simple as possible to make things easier.
I would go with a pair of azureus. If you raise them up together from a younger age they seem to get along better, so you might be able to keep 2 males and a female, but I've had some male/male aggression so it might be easier just to stick with a pair.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bryan. I really like the idea of waterfalls and all. I might try to make a waterfall with a small stream into a small pond. And im probably gonna get a young trio of azureus or maybe get a probable pair if available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks doc. My local pet stores largest size is 18x18x18. If I bought that offline its like 30$+ more. And the size u mentioned seems crazy haha. I would like something bigger. But I don't think I have enough space. Im into fish tanks and and breeding so I have a few tanks already. Just wanna try something new. And frogs look amazing. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts