Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a nice looking younger Fant in a trade from another board member, and I had some questions regarding the species in general. What is the best quarantine set up? I don't have any reason to suspect that it has anything, but I make it a habit of keeping all frogs quarantined for at least one month. I usually use shoeboxes, but it's been a fairly shy, jumpy frog, so I was thinking that a 2.5 gal, heavily planted, might be a good idea. Anone have any suggestions on how to furnish it's permanent enclosure? Do your pairs prefer to lay in broms? film canisters? leaves?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I think a ten gallon would be best, as it allows the frog to jump around when you open the tank to feed, where as in a shoebox it would easily hop out. But it depends on the size of the frog, if it is young the 2.5 gallon would be best so it is closer to its' food. I would also suggest wrapping the tank in brown paper bags so he can't see out and get stressed by things going on outside of his tank. I have used this method for non-thriving frogs, and with medical treatment the frogs were quickly better, fantasticus also have the reputation of being hard to settle in after a move, so any undue stress should be avoided. I plan on using that method when I receive my fantasticus, probablly in the next month or so. As for a final tank a 20 high, and film canisters on the ground will do. The plants do not really matter with fants., but they do like to hide in bromeliads, but most people I talk to say there frogs prefer to lay in film canisters on the ground.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dane,
Rubbermaid makes a clear container that is approximately 15 x 10 x 10 that works out well for all my froglets and quarentined frogs. It is high enough that I feel very comfortable taking the lid off even with good jumpers like fantasticus or tricolors. I put my fants in these with a ton of leaf litter, pill bottles on the ground, and other hiding areas. They also work really well for establishing springtail populations. Hope this helps, good luck.
Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Funny you should ask this; I just had to acclimate a trio of new fants myself. I'm using a 15x10x10 rubbermaid with a sphagnum moss substrate, plenty of leaf litter, pothos and philodendron cuttings, and cork flats. I also keep it absolutely swarming with springtails. The fants are doing quite well as a result, gaining weight, and periodically snagging melanogaster.

The only other advice I can give is not to open the container too often. Doing so tends to stress them out.

Good luck!
-John

·
Registered
621 Posts

I use these 19 quarts, with all my froglets. Thumbnails and tinc class. I bury a Quality Captives style springtail culture in there. dump in some terralite, then some coco bedding, Some spaghum, leaf litter, and plants. Dont forget to add some film canisters and a nice piece of cork bark to provide some refuge from flies and some hiding spots. Very easy to build, clean, and also very cheap. Much better than the critter keepers that cost like $20 bucks. Although i will say, i have never acclimated something as small as a young fant in these. Just young vents. I have keeped frogs in these for as long as 4 months.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just remembered another tip for you... to keep flies in the "latch-top" type of Rubbermaid container, place a sheet of clear 4-mil plastic over the top of the tank before you latch down the lid. I've never had issues with escapes using this method.

hope that helps,
John

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up putting him in the 2.5 with a glass top. I would be too worried about escapes with him in any kind of rubbermaid. I used Leca substrate covered in sphagnum with a pothos jungle on top. I also covered 3 sides of the tank with newspaper, to give more of a visual barrier. And wouldn't you know it, I almost lost him for the second time since Friday trying to transfer him into it this morning. I'm going to have to make some special modifications to his future vert 10 for feeding without opening the front. Also, Jace, can you elaborate on the Quality Captives style springtail culture? I've just been dumping them in as I see fit.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have several of thoose 19 quarts and the tops fit well, I am not worried about escapes even with thumb froglets. I am currently quarantining a pair of bastis in one, and I have had some courting today.

·
Registered
621 Posts
They take small sandwich size tupperwares, and fill about halfway with coco bark. Add springtails, feed bakers yeast. This simple method seems to be more consistent throughout winter and summer, also they are so small they can be added to almost any dart frog enclosure. I hope this is clear enough, maybe they can explain it better than me. I actually bury them in below the Cocobedding and Spaghum layers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts