Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got these guys about a week ago in a trade, and I hadn't seen them in person until they were shipped to me. I've never morphed out any Azureus before, but these really don't look right to me. They've both popped their front legs, and the second has started absorbing his tail. The back legs just seem too short and stubby, and the front legs on both don't seem mobile. I have 2 others from the same source that are much younger, and I'd like to prevent this from happening again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would say there is definitely a problem there. Dont know what it is, but it doesnt look like any azureus I have ever morphed. I have heard about azureus with stumpy legs before that actually morphed, and the person tried to sell the offspring. I cant remember where i read it but i think it was on frognet about 1 or 2 years back. Someone had seen them at show out west i think.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Re: Abnormal azureus tads? (pics)

Dane,

I would contact the person you traded with and tell them there is something wrong. The first frog in the pic look to have what is called "short femur" syndrome (although this guy looks like he has "VERY, VERY short femur"). I do not know who you got them from, but most experienced froggers would have realized the first one had an issue and would not have sent them out.

The legs on this one are so short - I don't know if the frog will be able to move around much.

The front legs of the 2nd one are difficult to see, so I can't comment about that one.

Melis

Dane said:
I just got these guys about a week ago in a trade, and I hadn't seen them in person until they were shipped to me. I've never morphed out any Azureus before, but these really don't look right to me. They've both popped their front legs, and the second has started absorbing his tail. The back legs just seem too short and stubby, and the front legs on both don't seem mobile. I have 2 others from the same source that are much younger, and I'd like to prevent this from happening again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Those are definately NOT normal, those legs are very stumpy and the pattern looks odd as well. I would ask for your money back or replacement tadpoles.

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, needless to say, it's probably too late for the tads that I posted pictures of. It will be interesting to see if they're able to survive long after absorbing their tails. Should they be euthanized? Like I said, I have no idea what kind of care they saw before I recieved them, but I'll try the blackwater extract for the two younger ones. The guy I traded with has contacted me and offered to split the shipping for a couple of new tads, so it may all work out.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It is a diff. subject but in my opinion you should not have to pay shipping for replacements, as this was not your fault, and this condition was most likely noticeable before he sent them.

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recieved them a week ago. The back legs on both looked as you see them, but the front legs hadn't popped. I don't think the board member that I traded with was an experienced keeper, but he did tell me that he had morphed out several others from the same parents with no incident, so I would assume that he should have been able to recognize normal development.

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone want to comment on euthanising them? The oldest has just about absorbed its tail, and I don't see any chance of the front legs having motility. It doesn't look like SLS, but they're just fused in place, kind of like skis on a snowmobile. Should I wait and see if it can get by on its own or ???

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Azureus tads

If you only got them a few days before the front legs popped out the breeder definately would have seen a difference between those and the ones he says morphed out fine. He/she should definately replace the tads totally at his/her expense or better yet give you frogs so there is no chance of this happening again.
As for euthanizing they will definately not survive you can pop them in the freezer, some would put them in the tank and let them be springtale food.
Let us all know what happens in your resolution of this situation.
Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's inevitable that malformed tads become malformed froglets, so here it is. The other two died just before or right after morphing, but this guy stands a pretty good chance of making it to adulthood. Hes not very mobile (for obvious reasons), but has a good appetite, and can catch flies with minimal difficulty. I'm not big on naming frogs, but I lovingly called this one "Jen" after one of my ex-GF's annoying, short, chubby friends. Also, I'm still waiting on my replacement froglets!

G

·
0 Posts
frog

is it possible it could produce stubby offspring if it makes it to adulthood, thereby creating a hideous but new "morph" a bit like those cats with tiny legs like basset hounds.

·
Super Moderator
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that might be a viable possiblilty, as the adults that produced this one have (from what I understand) produced many more with various deformities. It may just be relative to the conditions that the tads are subjected to, or it could be parents that are prone to producing genetically undesirable offspring. Oh, wait (cough cough), I mean yeah, these babies are the latest thing! You should get one, they're even better than lap dogs! $100 each!

·
Registered
141 Posts
$100, thats all....
I'll take six, I want to set up an inbreeding colony to see what other types of defects we can produce. :lol: :lol:

Kinding aside, its kind of a cool looking little guy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts