Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I tried searching for ABG Mix and Atlantic Botanical Garden on a few forums on here and found nothing.
Does anyone have the Recipe for the ABG Mix for terrarium substrate.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've never used or heard of using coco fiber in an ABG mix, but I know there are variations in most people's batches, including mine.

I use approximately:

1 part milled peat (sometimes more)

1 part milled sphagnum moss

1 part fine charcoal (sometimes more)

2 parts fine tree fern fiber

2 parts fine orchid bark

I just eye it out really, never have tried to get the ratios perfect. Instead of searching ABG Mix, try ABG recipe. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
what kind of store do you get the charcoal at? Is it called Lump charcoal? I need to get some for my springtail culture
Cheapest place is Lowe's or Home Depot. Cowboy brand or Frontier brand Lump hardwood charcoal. Toss some in a pillowcase and smash it with a hammer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Toss some in a pillowcase and smash it with a hammer.
hope you love black upholstery :D!
The ABG on josh's frogs has shredded up long fibered spagnum in it, are there variations to the recipe?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
hope you love black upholstery :D!
The ABG on josh's frogs has shredded up long fibered spagnum in it, are there variations to the recipe?
The recipe calls for "milled sphagnum". That is the shredded up long fibered sphagnum you are seeing. Same thing. You do want to be careful playing with the recipe too much. Especially with the tree fern fiber. If you take the chocolate chips out of a Toll House, all you're left with is just another cookie. Here is a link to another good ABG thread. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/63915-truth-about-abg-mix.html

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This thread goes into the ABG ingredients: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/70538-genuine-abg-vs-abg-equivalent.html

There are a few different recipes I've commonly thought of as actual ABG mix (or equivalent):
Verison 1: 2pt Tree Fern fiber, 1pt peat, 1pt charcoal, 1pt sphagnum, 2pt coco, 2 pt orchid bark
Version 2: 2pt Tree Fern fiber, 1pt peat, 1pt charcoal, 1pt sphagnum, 2pt orchid bark
Version 3: 2pt Tree Fern fiber, 1pt peat, 1pt charcoal, 2pt sphagnum, 2pt orchid bark

I personally don't see peat being a good thing. It breaks down faster than coconut fiber would, and it can compact.

Tree fern fiber is very important, since it helps keeps the soil "airy" and virtually never breaks down. Without Tree Fern fiber and orchid bark - it's not going to work like ABG mix regardless of the other ingredients. Soil must be allowed to breathe to build beneficial bacteria, support plant life, and support microfauna.

I've heard people using "organic" potting soil mixed with orchid bark, sphagnum moss, and charcoal call it "ABG equivalent". It's not! :p potting soil will quickly break down, and 90% of it contains other unwanted ingredients.

A good substrate should never exceed 50% of "soil" ingredient. (meaning coconut fiber, peat, or potting soil) More than 50% will get soggy very quickly. Ideally it should be around 35-25% of the mix, as it would be in ABG. The "saving money" thing goes a long way in this economy, so I completely understand people wanting to mix substrate themselves. Unfortunately the most expensive ingredients (orchid bark, sphagnum, charcoal, tree fern fiber) should make up the majority of the mix.

Other info:
Charcoal = Fine/Medium grade
Orchid Bark = Fine/Medium grade (home improvement store bark works, but it's usually large grain. Zoo Med reptibark IS fine orchid bark. ;) )
Tree Fern Fiber = Fine/Medium grade (I've heard just fine being used - but we've had good luck with both)
Coconut fiber & "Coir" = Same thing!

I hope this helps!
A few sponsors sell ABG Mix (Us included: NEHERP Vivarium Substrates). :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to ask this because I am still a little baffled... And do not really cook... So how much is 1 part??

I see this and it seems extremely simple to make, but have no clue how much 1 part is. Planning on going to the local green house to get this stuff.. And is the charcoal you guys are talking about in the lawn and garden section or should I look somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1 part could be anything; it depends on how much you want to make (example: if you wanted to make 10 cups of ABG, then each part would be 1 cup, and if you wanted to make ten gallons of ABG, then each part would be 1 gallon, and so on).

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 part could be anything; it depends on how much you want to make (example: if you wanted to make 10 cups of ABG, then each part would be 1 cup, and if you wanted to make ten gallons of ABG, then each part would be 1 gallon, and so on).
So just take a bunch of equal amounts and mix it up. Other then the ones that call for two and just double whatever you are adding then correct??

And with the charcoal, what area of home depot or lowes shoud I be looking in for it. Pretty sure it is not the stuff we throw on the grill.

And holy cow thanks for the fast response!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Crazy never would have though lol. Now to find the orchid bark. Seems that all the stuff that I have found has some sort of fertilizer in it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.