Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find a general soil fertility profile for typical ABG mix?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Doesn't exist as far as I know, because batch to batch it would all be different. But thats not really an issue, because most rainforest are actually very infertile, and tropical plants are used to dealing with that. Plus there's a ton of bio load that accumulates via frog poop, decaying leaf matter and waste from inverts not to mention all he random fungi and bacteria.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
The goal of ABG is to provide a soil with excellent moisture retention while promoting drainage, NOT to be an extremely fertile soil

·
Registered
351 Posts
Doesn't exist as far as I know, because batch to batch it would all be different. But thats not really an issue, because most rainforest are actually very infertile, and tropical plants are used to dealing with that. Plus there's a ton of bio load that accumulates via frog poop, decaying leaf matter and waste from inverts not to mention all he random fungi and bacteria.
Not to mention that the ABG is actually very fertile. All my plants explode on the stuff

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have looked up rain soil types and bought all types I could find. I mixed them and use that as an additive sprinkled on leaf litter. It's all about making the the "soil" conducive to growing micro fauna and making the bugs dig trough enriching "soil". And getting covered in mineral rich "clay" or soil. It has been working pretty good. It's all about trying new things.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not to mention that the ABG is actually very fertile. All my plants explode on the stuff
That's the composite of it. Oxygen promotes fast growth. Any soil that compacts is not going to helpful. Abg is pretty non compact type of "soil". Most of it doesn't have much on the way of being "rich". Like frog party said.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The goal of ABG is to provide a soil with excellent moisture retention while promoting drainage, NOT to be an extremely fertile soil
I understand that but don't you think there are still a decent amount of nutrients in it? It seems so to me when growing other things in it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
meeeeh.
remember too that the break down of the components like tree fern by the bacteria in it actually ROB it of Nitrogen. So its getting more and more nutrient poor by the day. ABG and many other institutions that use it accompany it with a good fertilizer regime. In the vivs, our frogs ARE the nutrient regime

1 - 8 of 8 Posts