Dendroboard banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Closing the doors this spring. Chytrid has been found all around my area. Since it's been detected upstream from me at the wildlife refuge I don't think it's wise to distribute frogs to the pet trade w/ the possibility of contracting chytrid during the summer months. It's only a matter of time before it's here on my property. I live too close to a number of bodies of water and have insect hatches getting thru the screens during the summer. I'd rather be able to open my windows during the summer w/out worries. I found, what I now believe to be a chytrid die off last spring about 15 miles NW of me. The one wildlife refuge where it was found is about 7-10 miles upstream of me.

Thanks to all for your support over the years!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
SERIOIUS BUMMER! But, I feel like you are being as responsible as possible. Some might say overly cautious, but eliminating disease vectors is SO IMPORTANT. Let me know what you've got for sale, Ill see if I cant take some frogs off your hands

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Very responsible... So sorry you have to close down though. Will you be selling all frogs?... Or just keeping them as a hobby and not a business.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I thought I was posting in the lounge, it can be moved if needed.

I may keep my pair of red galacts and orange bicolor that I've had for 14 years as pets but everything else is going. I don't ship adult terribilis so those pairs will be distributed to local friends who live in the city of buffalo. Other than that I don't have much to go. I only have a pair of azureus other than my terribilis bicolor and galact pairs. oh and a pair of Escudos which probably will go to my moms as they are nothing to care for in a 40 gal tank. I do have tads and eggs which I'll probably get rid of wholesale as I always do. Sorry nothing more to really get rid of. I had been scaling down for the last year to only focus on terribilis and have a few side projects. Unless of course someone is working w/ Rhac chahoua (Pine Isle) or trachyrynchus.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Good luck Aaron with however you decide to move forward after this. You've definitely done your part as far as bettering our hobby.

Michael

·
Registered
268 Posts
thanks for all the great frogs you and I both no you will still be watching this board, since you have a passion for frogs. like michael said did alot for this hobby. thank you JP

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Jesus dude, I remember when you were advertising the frog so many years ago. It was you, herpetelogic, Doyle's Dart Den, and maybe AZDR. Good luck, sorry to hear you're shutting down.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I may not always agree with you but I respect your passion for the hobby and the environment. Best wishes in any future endevors.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, a little over 1/3 of my life I've been breeding dart frogs, I think I got my first auratus and reticulatus when I was still at home back in 92, I think. Thanks and I'm sure I'll do fine. More than enough options. Now I'm sorry I didn't apply for the wildlife biologist position at the wildlife refuge I volunteer at. She said I was well qualified but I didn't want the 40hr/week and 1 year commitment. Oh well.

Jesus dude, I remember when you were advertising the frog so many years ago. It was you, herpetelogic, Doyle's Dart Den, and maybe AZDR. Good luck, sorry to hear you're shutting down.

·
Registered
348 Posts
the best of luck to you!!! thanks for everything over the years.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Aaron, I bought a pair of adult mint terribilis from you in 2004 maybe...can't remember when exactly. Could of been longer. Wish I still had them as I'm on a much higher level now. lol I did ok with them though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Aaron, thank you so much for you contribution to the hobby. Even though I've never had a transaction with you, I was learning from your website early on when I first started. I hope you continue your contribution in some way, shape, or form.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for everything, Aaron. You've always been a stand up guy and the hobby will surely miss your contributions. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do next. If the situation changes, let me know and I'll send some frogs your way.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Aaron,
I have some of your progeny mint terribs and love them, they will be in my collection until my demise.
I am really sad you are leaving the hobby...

Sincerely,

Beth

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Wait.. you're not leaving the hobby, right? You're just not going to be selling for a while, due to chytrid local to you, right?

I'm sorry to hear it but I understand why you feel you must do it. I think I would do it too.

On a sort of on topic/off topic note, after reading your post, I googled the chytrid situation in my area (NC). Did not find much info but did find a report from 2009 that indicated low rates of chytrid in SW NC. Now I'm on a quest to find out who else in NC is surveying for chytrid. I figured maybe it would be a good volunteer situation to find whoever (hopefully someone) is keeping up with it and help out with tracking it.

You be back in the fall?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Yeah what the above post says.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I'm getting rid of everything. There'd be no sense in keeping a collection and possibly getting chytrid to start selling again in the fall. I can't tell the future so I don't really know if i'll get back into frogs.

Wait.. you're not leaving the hobby, right? You're just not going to be selling for a while, due to chytrid local to you, right?

I'm sorry to hear it but I understand why you feel you must do it. I think I would do it too.

On a sort of on topic/off topic note, after reading your post, I googled the chytrid situation in my area (NC). Did not find much info but did find a report from 2009 that indicated low rates of chytrid in SW NC. Now I'm on a quest to find out who else in NC is surveying for chytrid. I figured maybe it would be a good volunteer situation to find whoever (hopefully someone) is keeping up with it and help out with tracking it.

You be back in the fall?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.