Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi all,

I've been reading allot from this forum and learned allot, now its the time to build my Viv...

I plan the viv to hold azuars darts and a bog verity of plants...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
From the looks of your pvc, it seems you have a rodent problem :D

On a serious note, you might want to rethink that false bottom pond cutout thing.... Once you fill it with gravel it wont hold any more then a spoonful of water. Also, maybe think of putting verticle egg crate around the perimeter of the false bottom. Then cram some gravel in between it and the glass. It'll hide the FB that way. Thats what I do and it looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From the looks of your pvc, it seems you have a rodent problem :D

On a serious note, you might want to rethink that false bottom pond cutout thing.... Once you fill it with gravel it wont hold any more then a spoonful of water. Also, maybe think of putting verticle egg crate around the perimeter of the false bottom. Then cram some gravel in between it and the glass. It'll hide the FB that way. Thats what I do and it looks nice and clean.
I understood azureus darts need more flat space, than ponds, heights and other decor, the pond is for people how askes
"wher dos the toads swim... " :D

Can you show me a pic of what you meant with the egg cart?

Those PVC`s are way too long. Go for some smaller pvc's. Your loosing space on your viv.
I have an intense hit problem... in the summer, the house is easily going above 28 degree Celsius (83 F) ,
the deep water is for keeping the container cool until I return home and turn on the A\C...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I understood azureus darts need more flat space, than ponds, heights and other decor, the pond is for people how askes
"wher dos the toads swim... " :D

Can you show me a pic of what you meant with the egg cart?

I have an intense hit problem... in the summer, the house is easily going above 28 degree Celsius (83 F) ,
the deep water is for keeping the container cool until I return home and turn on the A\C...
egg create is the white light diffusor. Its in your pic. Dart frogs dont need a pond or a water feature, they arent good swimmers. If your house is hot the drained water isnt going to keep your viv cool. You might want to keep the ac or fan on while your not home if your house gets too hot.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If your house is hot the drained water isnt going to keep your viv cool. You might want to keep the ac or fan on while your not home if your house gets too hot.
This is not always true. The thermal mass of the water in the false bottom can help stabilize temps. The water will heat/cool more slowly than the air in the viv, keeping the tank a little cooler during the day and a little warmer at night. Obviously it would not be a good idea to rely solely on this to keep temps in the proper range, but it can help (especially in a design that utilizes longer pvc supports i.e. more water in the fb).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Old, got it, pool goes out PVC goes down...

The spaces between the egg and the back and side wall will be stuffed... :)

Thanks guys, hope to show some progression next weekend...

P.s

The viv sits close to a 185 galon aquarium - hi tech with live plants, its allways in the same temp, ±75 f , any saggestion to create a closed hit replacement system?

The use of copper hose is forbidden how ever I can get my hands on some titanium hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey all, its been long time since I last wrote,
I've been busy rebuilding the viv.

I still have a dilemma regarding the cooling of the system, my thought is to put a pump from the aquarium to the viv, sharing the water in the aquarium with the viv.

The aquarium is 185 gallon hi tech for fresh water plants, I fertilize it using DIY solution, the water are soft and 6 PH.

The water are always with 77 Fahrenheit degrees, using a water cooler.

I was wandering if there is any problem doing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I'm not sure how I'd do it exactly, but you could do some sort of hydroponic style viv using epiweb or matting as your background. Then have a small pump in the aquarium send water to a drip bar (i like using the adjustable drip irrigation ports from Lowes) at the top of your viv. If the viv has a drilled drain hole and is higher than the aquarium it should be easy enough to have water drain right back into the aquarium. Should make for a lush and mossy viv, esp if you also mist....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the Prompt reply,
the mechanics i already figured out, my fear is contaminating the viv \ aquarium with hazardous bacterias and such...

·
Registered
586 Posts
My main worry about using the aquarium water would be the DIY ferts you spoke of. The rest of the water quality should be fine.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you have fish that are doing okay in the tank then I wouldn't worry to much about aquatic plant ferts. I used to always use various orchid ferts in my thumbnail tanks and never had any issues. Plants in a super lit and watered tank use up any extra nutrients like crazy, especially in a hydroponic style viv... And the bacteria will probably be beneficial.

However, I would say that all fish medications and other chemicals should be avoided....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,
If I will have medical condition I will put the fish in a separated tank.

The fert. I use are all medical or food grade so unless I overdose, its not toxic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wanted to write allot but I have Internet problem so... For now just one...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well.... using a polycarbonate sheets for the body of the viv was a mistake!!! :mad:

after installing and building and making it all happen, 2 weeks after finishing. the 3D background expanded and opened all the glue :(

on the top side i learned something...

i worked very fast and build a new and better container, from 6mm glass called "clear" its much more transparent than ordinary glass (it dosnt contain led)

i also changed the height of the viv so it will be better for the plants...

The Azuaros are waiting for the summer to end, probably will insert them in September.

some pics for the weekend...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts