Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear little male imitator intermedius escaped from his enclosure today. I have absolutely no idea how it happened! The only possible way it could have happened is he slipped out when I was misting, but I would have noticed him. I am really sad and confused, he was a really happy frog and now his wife is a widow.
. RIP

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Are you sure he escaped? I havent seen my vent in a month but he calls every day,if your sure he escaped try putting dishes with water in them around
Your house under beds and couches so he can get to a water source and doesn't dry out,best of luck

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure he escaped? I havent seen my vent in a month but he calls every day,if your sure he escaped try putting dishes with water in them around
Your house under beds and couches so he can get to a water source and doesn't dry out,best of luck
I forgot to mention that I did find him, on the carpet not to far from the terrarium.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sorry to hear it, you are definitely not the first person this has happened to. This is pretty much the biggest reason many recommend to work with bigger frogs before jumping into thumbnails, they can be way quicker and shiftier than we realize.

I would guess that you are probably right and he jumped out while misting, but definitely double-check your tank to make sure. They can get through some VERY small openings. I hope you find a replacement for him.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear it, you are definitely not the first person this has happened to. This is pretty much the biggest reason many recommend to work with bigger frogs before jumping into thumbnails, they can be way quicker and shiftier than we realize.

I would guess that you are probably right and he jumped out while misting, but definitely double-check your tank to make sure. They can get through some VERY small openings. I hope you find a replacement for him.
Yeah I looked it up and down, It's no way possible. He had to slip out when I opened it today I don't know how I missed him getting out, I feel like an idiot. I did find a replacement on tropicalecos.com they had a proven male for sale so I went on and ordered him about an hour ago.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you. We get really attached to our frogs and it hurts to lose one. :(

I had this happen to me recently with (of all things) an Azureus! I was messing around in the tank, trimming plants and stuff, and was off in my own little world. Suddenly, it popped into my head...Did he just hop out of the tank a minute ago??? Sure enough, he was sitting on the next tank watching me and gloating because he had gotten his freedom! I'll bet 20-30 seconds had gone by before I realized he was out. So...now I try to keep my head out of the clouds while cleaning tanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry this happened to you. We get really attached to our frogs and it hurts to lose one. :(

I had this happen to me recently with (of all things) an Azureus! I was messing around in the tank, trimming plants and stuff, and was off in my own little world. Suddenly, it popped into my head...Did he just hop out of the tank a minute ago??? Sure enough, he was sitting on the next tank watching me and gloating because he had gotten his freedom! I'll bet 20-30 seconds had gone by before I realized he was out. So...now I try to keep my head out of the clouds while cleaning tanks!
Yeah that's why I posted it, hoping it would remind people to be careful when they are opening the door to the terrarium.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Two different times I have had frogs jump right over shoulder as I was misting. In both cases, they were captured and returned to the tank quickly.

I am so paranoid that one will sneak by now that if I hear the slightest sound while misting, I immedately start scanning the floor.

So sorry to hear about this. Thank you for sharing this terrible situation as a reminder to all us all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
This is a good reminder for everyone to be careful when they mist or do tank maintainace. I'm just sorry it had to come at such a high price. I know I can be a bit careless at times, leaving a door open while reaching for a pair of scissors or paper towel and this will certainly change that.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

Yeah I was thinking about this when i was draining my tank.
I'm using aquarium tube and a syringe and it take forever...I'm most likely gonna have to drill a hole in the bottom but I don't know how I could drill upside down haha or with the tank on it's side...idk what I'm gonna do cause i don't wanna tear the tank down :|

·
Registered
626 Posts
I am sorry also.

I think I need an escape plan. Does anyone keep a net by their terrariums to help catch an escaped frog? As a beginner I am worried about escaped frogs and if I would be able to find or catch.

Steve

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
sorry for your loss.

Thumbs can be tricky. I had a vent that jumped on me while misting way back when, scary stuff. Came out of nowhere, glad i caught him and put him back in....Good reminder to keep an eye out when feeding/misting thumbs

·
Registered
527 Posts
A male Variabilis went missing during a Vacation. I was sure there was no way in hell he could have escaped through a gap. I was thinking it had escaped while my sister fed when I was away. A couple of days later after comig back, I see my second and lastima male hopping on top of the viv. I was like, what the hell. Anyway, I found a tiny tiny tiny gap on top of the viv. My guess is that the first male escaped through that same gap. Anyway, keep checking for any possible gaps. DragonSpirit, use a siphon pump.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts