Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new here. I am sure someone here already has asked this question before and someone has giving an answer. So hopefully it'll just be as simple as some links to other post in this site.

So first and foremost I know this is a site for darts, I don't have any darts yet.

But I do keep Tree frogs as I like them and their size, and the challenge in tank builds.

So recently I got some Amazon Milk Tree Frogs (They are tiny little babies so I have some time).

I will be getting an exoterra that is (36"*36"*18") and I am wanting to do a small "pond" Feature and a water fall. Now I already have the pump (Which hopefully isn't too strong). And I know how to custom backgounds, adding plants, bugs, etc.

So my question is what is the best way to go about making the pond so that it looks like it is from nature. I'm not opposed to the idea of a small "river" as well. But I don't know how to go about all of this correctly and make it so that I don't have major issues when cleaning water.

Thanks for the help

Also if you keep any let me see your setups please

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So does anyone have some good advice on this? I'll be getting my cage Sunday and i'll be eager to start.

Also how important do you guys think it is to silicone the back before adding foam. I have applied foam straight to the glass before with little issue, but they were much smaller cages.

·
Registered
418 Posts
For the water feature, for it to look "natural" it is best to slope the soil down to the water level as I'm sure you know. First and only time I did a water feature, I failed to do this and it didn't look too hot. I am not one with water feature experience, as you can see, but since no one has responded I'll try to help.

One method is to merely do a false bottom with either river stones or lightweight porous rock or LECA, and merely slope the rocks up to the bottom level of soil, so that there is an opening in the soil and a sort of bowl-like depression in the false bottom. The water level will have to be fairly low, as in about a half inch or more below the soil level, so that water doesn't wick into the soil or cause a swamp, that's the only drawback.

Another method I've seen is to create a false bottom out of egg crate, and cut out a corner to the size of the pond you want (you could even just make the egg crate false bottom only go a certain percentage of the length of the tank), and then either spray foam a barrier along the edge of that cut (going a little above the egg crate), or placing a cork piece as a barrier and then siliconing/spray foaming it into place.

As to the wood pieces for the background, it's best to silicone it into place before hand, so as to have the majority of the weight of the wood being held by the silicone (which won't peel off). If you spray in a heavy piece of wood without siliconing, you risk the chance of it pulling at the foam and eventually causing the foam to slowly peel away from the glass along with the wood.

Any more questions, just ask :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is really great info. I think I am going to center my water fall (I know not normal) and i'll use the egg crate for the bottom of the tank. I'll also make it a small pond like area at that center point in the back. and make a natural-ish bank of water. I am also ordered some fake rocks that where molded in mexico to match up to the environment a little closer than I would other-wise achieve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts