Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

I am setting up my first dart frog tank - 33 gallon tall setup (18in by 18in by 24 high)

I would like to keep 3-4 frogs in there, which from my reading seems reasonable -

I was wondering if I could have D. tinctorius (The Dyeing Poison Dart Frog specifically) in with D azureus (The blue dart specifically)

I am confused for 2 reasons - I keep reading that the Azureus is part of the Tinctorius species - But then why isnt it called D. tinctorius?

Also, if they ARE the same species, can I have something like 2 Dyeing frogs and one Blue dart together?

Thanks - Sorry if this is a rookie question but I sincerely tried to research it on my own before asking - The research just wasnt clear to me

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
D. Azureus is actually a morph of tinctorius. It just recently became classified under tinctorius, so some people are still catching on.

First off you will only want 2 frogs (male and female) in a tank that size if your keeping tinctorius. Tincs are pretty terrestrial, and can possibly bully each other if kept in groups.

Lastly, you can have 2 tinctorius together, but only the same morph. For example, 2 citronellas, 2 azureus, or 2 cobalts. But not 1 azureus and 1 citronella. Even though they are all classified under tinctorius, they are all different morphs, and can possibly interbreed if put together, and that is a no no.

Don't worry about asking nooby questions. We have all started off as a noon before. I hope I answered all your questions, don't hesitate to ask anything. I forgot to add: 18x18x24 tank is a great size, just with tincs being terrestrial only 2 is suggested. If you picked a better group frog, 3-4 would do great in a tank that size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was very clarifying - Thank you!

I also read that 2 males and 1 female would get along- Is the tank still too small for that combination, or should I just stick to 2 frogs, end of story?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
2 males and 1 female for tincs might work.. but you have to keep a close eye on aggression, because although female aggression is greater, there still can be male aggression. My suggestion if you choose to stay with tincs, only go with a pair. I have a pair of cobalts in a 18x18x24 tank, and a pair of azureus in another one, and they are always out, so you don't have to worry about that. But it is your tank and frogs, so you can make the decision you want, that's just what I would do.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi All -

I am setting up my first dart frog tank - 33 gallon tall setup (18in by 18in by 24 high)
I have the 18" tall version. It's a really good tank. I've got 2 azureus and they seem to be content with the space. As previously said you should be fine with 2 tincs of the same morph. I'd stick with just two as well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello and welcome-

I am also new to all this and wouldn't want to sway you, but if I had that tank I would get a few Dendrobates leucomelas. They are great for beginners (my first frogs) LOVE to climb, are bold, noticeable and really active.

I find mine clear at the top of my 37g tall tank (something like 30x12x24) as well as on the floor. They are always spread out all over the tank.

Also leucs are better suited for groups, I have three and in my tank and they do fine. Although you may want to do some reading on this cause recently I have heard they are better in pairs but I am not sure about this.

Regardless of what you choose (leucs, azureus, tincs in general) good luck with it and never feel stupid asking questions.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That was very clarifying - Thank you!

I also read that 2 males and 1 female would get along- Is the tank still too small for that combination, or should I just stick to 2 frogs, end of story?
Pairs tend to work better with tincs... there are exceptions where it works, but it can cause problems.

If you're looking for a good beginner group frog, a few Phyllobates are good choices (terribilis, vittatus, or bicolor) or some Santa Isabel Anthonyi.

That's a lot of tank height for the larger terrestrial frogs (tincs & the stuff I mentioned won't use most of that upper space), you might be better off grabbing a 20G for a tinc pair for now, and using the exo for a group of thumbnails (northern variabilis do well in groups and would love that tank) in a few months when you've gotten the hang of things.

Now that I think about it, that's actually exactly how I started out. Go figure :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been really interested in the Red Amazonicus! I didnt realize they could be kept in larger groups - How many could you keep in my type of tank? (18x18x24)

I realize you all havent seen teh setup, which is important I know in determining these things - But in general - Could I keep say 5 of these little guys instead of 2 of the other? More? Less?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Pairs tend to work better with tincs... there are exceptions where it works, but it can cause problems.

If you're looking for a good beginner group frog, a few Phyllobates are good choices (terribilis, vittatus, or bicolor) or some Santa Isabel Anthonyi.

That's a lot of tank height for the larger terrestrial frogs (tincs & the stuff I mentioned won't use most of that upper space), you might be better off grabbing a 20G for a tinc pair for now, and using the exo for a group of thumbnails (northern variabilis do well in groups and would love that tank) in a few months when you've gotten the hang of things.

Now that I think about it, that's actually exactly how I started out. Go figure :cool:
I beg to differ. Like I said I have a pair of cobalts in a 18x18x24 tank, and they use every space of it! (especially the female). Although some frogs may use vertical space more, tincs WILL use it sometimes.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I have been really interested in the Red Amazonicus! I didnt realize they could be kept in larger groups - How many could you keep in my type of tank? (18x18x24)

I realize you all havent seen teh setup, which is important I know in determining these things - But in general - Could I keep say 5 of these little guys instead of 2 of the other? More? Less?

Thanks!
I think you could probably get 4-5 amazonicus in that tank if well planted. Vents (amazonicus have identical care, I don't remember the final conclusion but I believe they are now considered a type of ventrimaculata) are great group frogs in my experience; I really haven't seen any aggression or wrestling and the frogs are out more when they interact within groups. Tincs would still be best for a pair I think, and although there are exceptions of course, I find most tincs mostly stay toward the bottom parts of the tank so thumbnails might enjoy that extra height a bit more.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Vents (amazonicus have identical care, I don't remember the final conclusion but I believe they are now considered a type of ventrimaculata)
Amazonicus is to ventrimaculata as azureus is to tinctorius. In other words: each were considered to be there own species, but subsequent research and data revealed that they are just populations/morphs of ventrimaculata and tinctorius.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks Ron, that's what I thought but just wanted to check.
Bryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts