Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to thin out some of the plants that are overtaking my auratus tank. I took out a few large cuttings and threw them in the trash. On my last cut, I noticed there was something wet on my hands and as I looked down, I discovered this...

Of course I rummaged through the trash to make sure nothing else went undiscovered and luckily all tads are now safe. It seems strange becuase these frogs are pretty good at using one of the two coco huts. I guess they just couldn't wait for a room at the Inn.

Let this be a reminder to look before you cut :D :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It will make everyone think twice and check when we choose to trim our tanks. It goes to show that nothing in nature is 100% predictable.
Mike

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention that when I looked into the coco hut, it was full of eggs as well but at a different stage of development.

Does anyone know if eggs are deposited in a laying site if the females will stop laying at that location until the tads develop, or has anyone observed situations were the same female will lay a new clutch next to, or on top of, an old clutch?

I guess the question is: If you want to maximize your chances of obtaining fertile eggs from your frogs, assuming a species that does not care for the tad, is is critical that you remove any eggs after 24-48 hrs (to give the male a chance to fertilize) to increase your chances of pulling more fertile eggs from a particular female????

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
depends

It really depends. I have found 2 different age clutches in the same petri dish - and had your experience of finding multiple clutches with in the same tank as well.

Our retics will lay in a different location each time. Although this isn't the most common, I have found 3 clutches of eggs at differerent stages of development in the tank. Some were laid on leaves others in film canisters.

Just last night, I pulled a film canister with eggs in it out our our retic cage, I turned it over to see if the eggs were attached, and a tadpole and 4 eggs (eggs were all the same clutch) came out.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, cool experiece finding a tad in one of your film canisters along with developing eggs!!

BTW, Thanks again for the film canisters with suction cups you sent me, they look great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts