Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good light fixture that would fit neatly over 18 x18" of space? It's going over a 40b do it'll be 36" tall. Not too familiar with plants, but I do know I'd like to keep some brommies. I'd like a light basically that'll be able to handle anything I want to put into the tank. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I would say a power compact/compact flourescent or LEDs. I personally don't like to use T5 lights for applications where you have to go with a fixture less than 24". Flourescents are dimmer for the first 6 inches from either end so 18 inchers are just too dim for my likes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about taking a fixture off my reef tank and putting it over this one, do you think these lights will be good enough for all plant life?

They are Ecoxotic panorama fixtures. 17.5"

·
Registered
701 Posts
I thought about taking a fixture off my reef tank and putting it over this one, do you think these lights will be good enough for all plant life?

They are Ecoxotic panorama fixtures. 17.5"
Wow, nice reef! Is that a 65g? As for the lights, those aren't the right K temp. Those look like 10k or 12k bulbs which won't support plant well. On my 29g tank i'm using 2-13w 6500k CFLs and 2-26w (It says 5000k on the package, they look pretty white to me) CFLs so I don't loose brom colours. The tank looks really bright (a con for me, takes away the natural look IMO) but the plants are gonna do great in it!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Im using a reefing lighting fixture for my tank and it is great. As said before, just make sure to switch the bulbs over to something in the 6500k range. After going high end with lighting I dont think I'll go back to anything else.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Wow, nice reef! Is that a 65g? As for the lights, those aren't the right K temp. Those look like 10k or 12k bulbs which won't support plant well. On my 29g tank i'm using 2-13w 6500k CFLs and 2-26w (It says 5000k on the package, they look pretty white to me) CFLs so I don't loose brom colours. The tank looks really bright (a con for me, takes away the natural look IMO) but the plants are gonna do great in it!
I run a single Module over my 10g Tank and it has grown plants just fine. The think about the Ecoxotic Modules are that they are a mix of led colors.

Just turn off your stunner strips and you will have the right color. IIrc the modules themselves are rated at 8k but with the light spektrum spread with the 4 blue led's to 8 Whites I don't see you having aproblem with these as long as they are not set too high off the tank

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Neontra, yes it is a 65g. Thanks! So if not this fixture, what else would be a good one that won't hang over the sides, but still reaches the bottom with ease? I have a 175w DE metal halide fixture. I don't know if they sell bulbs in that range of kelvin though. Although I never looked either since I didn't need anything in that range.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Asides from the light show and it being stressful to the animals, IMO, will this light do for this qt tank and an Anthurium scherzerianum?

7c0429f0.mp4 video by twiggybrown - Photobucket

I won't actually be using the flashing lights, but the red LEDs might come in handy for night viewing, plus you can dim them so they're not as bright.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Can't really help you without knowing the spectrum. That doesn't show me anything about the light. Is it LEDs? What is the spectrum K rating of the white light that you will be using? Basically you need about 5000 to 6500 K. (actually 5K to 6.5K)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I couldn't find any info on the spectrum off the website. Yes, they are LEDs. It's the ecoxotic pro RGB module. I'll see if I can't find somewhere where it has the spectrum rating.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It says on there
Control the color spectrum of your aquarium lighting with just one click. That’s the big advantage of RGB LED technology. You can instantly change the color, vary intensity and brightness, turn your lights on or off, or set your light on fade mode to slowly rotate through the entire color spectrum. The handheld remote works from up to 30 feet away and is super simple to install. You can even add more punch by snapping on a polished reflector, effectively doubling the amount of light focused into your tank.

Read more: RGB Panorama Pro LED Module - Panorama Modules - Aquarium LED Lights

so i'm wondering if the "white" setting is in the 5000k-7000k range. Worth a try, and best of luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Neontra, that's where I ordered the light from. That's my tank I set up in the video. Still couldn't find the kelvins anywhere though. Am wrong to think the more yellow/ orange light is better for plant life? I had it on that setting last night, and while it did give it a stronger amber glow, it didn't look too bad. Though I'm still not sure if I'm still in the right light spectrum. Doesn't plant life utilize the red spectrum of light more than the others? Still could be thinking wrong in terms of sustaining plant life though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nope, actually :p
The more "yellow" the worse. A regular "yellow" bulb is about 2700k. That won't grow any plants very well as far as I know. You want the whittest setting you can get. So whenyou look at the bulbs it's whiter than a new piece of paper.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've used the 18'' coralife quad pc fixture several times for 18cube zoomeds and have been very happy. Don't know if they still make that fixtuer though

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have that fixture over my sump in my reef tank right now actually. Maybe I'll have to take it out and use it for the 40, but will it reach the bottom of the 40 well? I don't think it's that strong.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, actually :p
The more "yellow" the worse. A regular "yellow" bulb is about 2700k. That won't grow any plants very well as far as I know. You want the whittest setting you can get. So whenyou look at the bulbs it's whiter than a new piece of paper.
Good to know. Slowly learning everything I need to know for plant life and frog keeping!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts