Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello
Sometimes there is only one place to go to share dart happiness.
After many failed tadpoles, i have finally morphed out a 95% Orange Galac. He or she still has the largest tail ive ever seen, but both front legs are out and healthy. The entire back of the frog has the brightest orange ive ever seen. Im very excited, because this should mean that the next 20 tads still growing are very high possibilty of being sls free.

also after one good clutch and several bad ones my vents are starting to produce all good clutches and i have one now with 6 tads almost hatched. its good news too because of the other 4 tads that hatched i kept three that died in fowl water. One that lived had been given to Zach before the others died so i dont have any vent tads. Needless to say the new six are very welcomed.

G

·
Congrats Jace. Mind if I ask who you got your vents from. They are what I will be getting when my custom nears completion. I will have a quaratine tank set up with food ready to go for them. Also did you get all your vents from the same breeder and Line or are their 2 differnt blood lines that you have. I am just curiuos.

Mike P.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike your in luck.
you have access to some great vents via Quality Captives. Thats where i got mine from and they came in fat and huge. As far as bloodlines go, i would assume mine are from the same parents, but that doesnt really speak to the bloodline. Which bloodline they are im not sure. Someone from quality captives could chime here, that woulld be nice. Zach has two from them also. What we plan on doing is raising the offspring and setting up new blood to mix with our own offspring. In that way we would sort of create our own bloodline, down the road a bit when we have 3 or 4 pairs and some communities set up. The questions of bloodlines and morph is so confusing to me though. I dont really like imitator and intermedius cause it confuses me so much. Also i shy away from some tincs (regina-giant orange, alanis-infer, new river-sips, things like these) for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I always think it is best to keep the bloodlines separate, bloodlines get started by getting wc's or frogs from europe and breeding and selling the offspring, not by mixing two different bloodlines and calling them your own. I have found that most vents originated from Aaron Handzlik, but there are a couple of other lines out there. In the case of intermedius and imitator they are two different frogs, imitators have black spots on green, where as intermedius have black on orange. Both have highly variable patterns, althought the intermedius seem to have more variation, some look like imitators others look like fantasticus.

G

·
The only reason I was asking is because I dont have any frogs yet but plan on getting vents in the futere as my first frogs. I am under the impression that what Jace is doing is consider to be Line breeding. Correct me if I am wrong but that is how they do it with dogs. I can understand that the ones Jace and Zach recieved from Quality Captives may not have come from the same parent. But when you take the siblings from 2 or 3 pairs that came from the same parents then in turn and mate them together seems to be line bredding to me. If you had recieved some from Quality Captive's and another place ended up with 2 pair you would still be line breeding but have less of a chance of genetic defects showing up especially if none of the starters adults you start with are unrelated.

I wish some body could help me understand what is frowned upon in this great Hobby as far as breeding goes. There does seem to be a very fine line on this subject and I was just looking for clarification. Thanks Again

Mike P.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah once again my writing gets me misunderstood.
For my vents i just wanted exactly what scorpion said, our two pairs plus offspring and another frog or two of the exact same line but from different parents. Then have about 2 or 3 pairs and 2 community tanks. This to me would sort of create my own colony not neccesarly bloodline thats why i said "sort of my own bloodline" because i could control the breeding for years and after a while all would be descendants of 6 or 8 frogs.

and for imitator and intermecius i no the difference between the two, but its the frogs that get lumped under the name Imitator or Intermedius that confuse me. not rather a certain frog is imitator or intermedius

1 - 7 of 7 Posts