Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i have experience with tincs but would like to move on to keeping some thumbnails also and was wondering about egg deposition.
i've heard that some thumbnails will lay in various sites throughout the tank including the viv walls. if they were to lay on the viv glass is it safe to remove them or would they be disturbed and turned too much to be safe to incubate outside the tank in a petri dish?
having had success with tincs i really would love to work with some thumbnails. any suggestions to first thumbs?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi,

My Imis have laid on the background/ glass, and using a razor blade to make a clean cut between the jelly and the glass is a pretty straightforward task.

I wouldn't worry about that at all though - Keep plenty of broms/ film canisters/ egg deposition sites handy and you should be good to go.

As far as starter thumbs, you have probably already heard it all: Vents, various Imi morphs, Lamasis, etc. etc... All a fine start. Go with what catches your eye ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

My Imis have laid on the background/ glass, and using a razor blade to make a clean cut between the jelly and the glass is a pretty straightforward task.

I wouldn't worry about that at all though - Keep plenty of broms/ film canisters/ egg deposition sites handy and you should be good to go.

As far as starter thumbs, you have probably already heard it all: Vents, various Imi morphs, Lamasis, etc. etc... All a fine start. Go with what catches your eye ;)
thanks just starting to sort out what i would like. i know some people say that R.reticulata is one in particular that is a little delicate and not recommended until advanced. so that was the reason for any thoughts on best starter thumbs. i have heard the vents are great. thanks again

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have vents. Both froglets and tads. Super easy and out alot. I'm half blind right now and can spot all 3 out within 30 secs in my tank. The tads are easy to. Alot of people do separate containers with one in each cause they are known to eat each other. But I have 3 tads in all different stages in a well covered pond in my 10g. Feed everyday and change water everyother day. All are fine and one is about to pop his front legs.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
True, Retics are more delicate. Imitator morphs are my favorite first thumbnail because they are hardy and bold. Behind that I would put Vents and then Lamasi. Vents and Lams are plenty hardy, too, but they can be much shyer. I find that can discourage people with their first thumbs. Some of us old reefers are used to a fish that you only see once a week, so if you are prepared for a frog you only see once a week, then Vents and Lams are both fine choices.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What's up addicted! Looks like you're about to take the step I just took this past weekend. I have various tincs and auratus morphs, but have been looking into thumbs for a while. I had a vent tad that I acquired with my first darts that morphed out with SLS. I had a vert ready to go now with no frog to go in there. I decided I wanted some kind of Imitator. I picked up 4 Varaderos this weekend and I'm in Love! I am now rethinking my collection and the direction I plan to head :rolleyes: I'm going for thumbs now! I suggest Imitators just because I think they are so cool, especially Varaderos.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Like Gumby said varaderos are hot.....I started my hobby out on R. imitator 'varadero' and haven't looked back. They are really bold and out and about much of the day, now that mine have started to breed they are out and about even more then before. All of the frogs mentioned are great frogs. I have lamasi as well and they are really quite a shy frog. I have 5 in QT and only see one or 2 of the 5 a week. Hopefully once in viv they will be out a bit more.

Good luck on what ever you choose thumbs are a great category of frogs to keep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts