Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm looking to start really expanding my collection once I get another job. I'll probobly get some basic dart frogs first, but I was wondering what size tanks everyone uses for pairs of thumbnails, and what food you use for adults and babies. And also anything about preferable setups for them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have ventrimaculatus and keep them in ten gallon aquariums (in the traditional horizontal manner). I have glass lids over the whole top and have a small water feature in there with a false bottom. It is HUMID.

I don't keep them as pairs, but in a group of five. They are breeding regularly.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I have one pair of imitators in a five gallon (but I'm not proud of it :oops: !) and one pair in vertical ten gallon.
The 5 gallon has an all glass top an the ten has a 1.5X10" vent on the top front.
I'm going to put each pair in their own 20 vert someday.
One thing I've noticed about imitators is that their crap builds up faster than my other frogs. For example, I have two sub adult terribilis in a ten gallon (horizontal) and I hardly ever see a turd, but the imitators cage gets soiled fairly quick.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
On that note, for imitator, a vertical tank with a front opening is ideal (easier to clean and check for eggs) IMO.
I used to have three males in a 24" tall hex tank (top opening), and it was a real pain to clean the glass...I always had to have a "lookout" to make sure they didn't escape while I cleaned the glass.
Another thing that is nice with front opening tanks is you can put alot of lights on top, or put them in racks, without losing any accessability.
From what I've noticed the imitator like to sleep in bromeliads, or overlapping leaves, and like to lay their eggs on smooth, vertical surfaces.
For some more information on thumbs here is a link to a neat page, click on the drawings to find the information.
http://natures-web.org/fg/Adult%20Pages ... _main.html
Have fun :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have a 15 vert that will either house brunos or something else. I am building 10's for either those brunos or whatever else I decide to purchase soon. I also have my castis setup in a 30 gallon. For pairs, I would like to use the 10's because 4 can fit on each shelf of the rack setup I use. I feed springtails and melanogasters. Springtails would work great for the young thumbs especially. My castis love them.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Just some advice, take it with a grain of salt. You say you're considering getting alot more frogs because you landed a new job...good for you! I'm guessing you are figuring on getting more frogs because you can afford them now.
If this new job is going to be taking more of you're time, just make sure you are comfortable with what you have now, and consider how much more of you're time the new additions will take.
I've been working 6 days a week since new years, and my modest collection seems to take the rest of my time...it's easy to get burned out when it gets to that point.
Just some "other" advice :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you're talking about with getting burned out. I had a collection that did that to me once, but it involved a lot of animals that ate large and large amounts of food, like bearded dragons and horned frogs.
I would like to make breeding animals at least a part time job for me, because I simply love the animals, and if I can make money at it I'd like to.
I don't see darts and mantellas wearing me out to the point that ther other animals did simply because I don't have to clean their tanks every day. Bearded Dragons are the messiest lizards I've ever seen or owned, I now have Leopard Geckos I'm breeding, and they require very little maintenance, and are very fun to watch.
With the animals now I'm rather limited on space so I won't be able to attain a collection too large for me that will burn me out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.