Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tad- the second pic is an azureus, the third mike, from rainforest junkies, said was an azureus, and he said that the fourth is a new river tinc. if anybody has any other suggestions on the third and fourth picture, i would apreciate it, but i think mike is probably right.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I agree. 3rd is definitely an azureus. They've got that boxlike hunch on their back. It's kind of hard to tell from the angle on the 4th pic, but the frog in it appears to lack the hunch.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would also agree. The 3rd pic is an azureus and the 4th a New River tinc. The reticulation on the 4th one is consistent with the patterning on New Rivers while the 3rd pic has the fine spots like you see on azureus. As the frogs age, you will begin to notice more and more differences in body size and shape, but that is a very nicely colored New River, and will make a beautiful adult.

By the way, all of your pics are great. I really like the auratus bedded down in the brom!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way, all of your pics are great. I really like the auratus bedded down in the brom!
thanks

It's kind of hard to tell from the angle on the 4th pic, but the frog in it appears to lack the hunch.
i can post a different picture if you think that there is a possibility of it being an azureus based on the hunch.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't think the hunch as described is a telling characteristic. Yes, Arklier is right that tincs and azureus have a definitive difference between the way their backs look when you look at a side profile, but they both have a hump--it's just farther back on the standard tincs when compared to azureus.

If Mike said its a New River, I wouldn't doubt him. Plus, I would have dead cold called number 4 a New River based upon the pattern and body shape. I'll try to get some good pics of my azureus and New Rivers to show you the difference. When full grown, your New Rivers will be decidedly bigger than your azureus. My largest male New River is about as big or larger than my female azureus.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you have a breeding pair of new rivers, cause if you do i would be interested in buying one eventually

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have one female and 3 males, and they just started throwing eggs about a month ago.

edit: well, they probably started before then, as I saw a lot of breeding beahvior, but couldn't find the eggs. Then, I caught a male jump out from under the waterfall with an egg stuck to him. :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where in indiana are you, my family is going to be moving to indianapolis within the next year, and if you plan on selling froglets, i would be interested at a later date.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts