Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a couple shots I took while doing some feeding etc today.

male vanzo: love this guy. so bold he tries to jump on my hand

Some leuc shots: my bigger male

His lady friend:

date night:

Ghost mantis, Phyllocrania paradoxa: Shes still little, few more molts until full size

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the mantis get their own enclosures. Beyond their murderous alien robot temperament they need lower humidity than the frogs do, and also require secure molting perches where they will not be disturbed

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That mantis is awesome. Where would be a good place to learn more about them and what about a good place to learn more about keeping them?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's little, only molted a few times, so she stands maybe an inch high. She maxes out an two inches or so long. They are pretty awesome. My orchid mantis are still much smaller right now, and my indian flower mantis ootheca haven hatched yet.

Mantidforum.net is a great place to get more info on mantids of all types

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
frogs look great :)

awesome mantis :D

I'm not trying to hijack or anything but I found this mantis outside while doing some yard work, he/she had it's leg stuck in the A/C unit and I freed it and sat it on the the rock wall and took a pic. I see anoles, fence lizards, and toads all the time around here too :)

how many other mantises do you have?

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to end up with a sh*tload I can already tell you...I just have the three types right now, but once I set up some heated net cages I'm going to get some wandering violin mantis and Idolomantis diabolica. Probably turn the walk in closet in the frog room into the mantid room.
Awesome mantis pic by the way! Cool colors

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ghosts are a lot easier than idolomantis diabolica! You should get some, they don't live too long, but you can easily breed most and keep generations going. I resisted for years, but am so glad I got them! They are sooooo cool, and like to sit on my hands and chill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts