Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posing in the unfinished highland lamasi viv. NO FROGS IN THERE!!!!! But it makes a cool place to take some pics
Acanthops sp. South american dead leaf mimic from French Guyana to Colombia
This is my L6 female

Ghost mantis- Madagascar/Asian dead leaf mantis L6 female

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Love the ghost! He looks like some kind of specter of death!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Nice! I've always wanted some mantid species. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've been planning on getting some ghosts, very cool critters indeed! Maybe one day an orchid mantis of the opportunity presents itself.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They aren't full size yet but yes you could keep them in a nano

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
dont waste the money on a nano... just buy a rack of 5.5 gal tanks and go from there. i would love to do mantises, however i cant figure out the food. blue bottle seems the only thing worthy and its a LOT (not money)to culture.
Frogparty, what are your plans for feeding after they are done with FFs?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm curious as to what kind of bugs you feed these guys. Is there a need to culture new types of (bigger) bugs or can you feed them with the same fruit flies and isopods we already culture?

edit: Looks like Moty beat me to it.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are off ff's and eating crickets and houseflies. I buy housefly pupae and just hatch them out. I think I pay $5 for 500 do it's pretty cheap, and if fed the adults live for a
month and there isn't any smell. I know a few people on here have dubias too and they love a little dubia nymph. The orchid mantis really prefer flying food, or at least the movement of fluttering wings. There is no need to supplement their feeders beyond gutloadi g crickets, but there's a lot to be said for dusting with a little bee pollen because the mantids eat a lot of bees in nature and apparently there's some evidence that fecundity and ootheca size increases. I know a breeder who has a beehive just for this purpose. I will just catch some bees this summer.
They really are awesome, and their requirements are so much more simple than darts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do. I have ootheca of Creobroter pictipipennis (indian flower) Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii (spiny flower) and Oxyopsis gracilis (south american green) incubating now. I have stock of Ghosts, orchids, and dead leaf acanthops too young to breed yet, but soon. If you want some now, I can direct you to someone in so cal or to a good retailer

1 - 20 of 86 Posts