Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a few questions i believe some of you experts might be able to help me with.

1. My 2 cryptanthus "ruby" offsets are not taking root. What could be causing this? I have one directly in the substrate at the bottom of the tank and one a little up higher on my fake tree root thing sitting on some damp beaked moss. These have been in my viv for 7 weeks or so, and everything else in there has rooted very quickly and taken off. There seems to be no signs of new growth on these offsets, except for the fact that the one up higher has turned a bright ruby color while the one lower has lost a bit of color. Here are some pictures

The more colorful of the two

no roots :(

2. Next question is kinda the opposite. I have some pilea "moon valley on the right side of my tank and its growing pretty huge. I'm not sure if i want to keep it there or replace it with something else. It has already bloomed for me! (by the way what is the dusty stuff they explode out of their flowers when they open? the other day it looked like mini smoke bombs going off in there hahaha) I guess this is more of an opinion question. I guess i could trim it down and make it more bushy. Any suggestions? I'm just nit sure i like the look of it. here are some pics

3. Alright last question for today. Does anybody have an ID on this brom? I picked it up at walmart for 5 bucks, but i have no idea what it is. My best guess it neoregelia "purple star". The full grown ones were probably 24" in diameter and a little deeper purple. Its not goin in a viv, but i thought it was cool so i'm trying to grow it in a pot w/ zilla jungle mix substrate just because it drains really well. It is in a corner of our house that has both a north and east facing window, so it's getting plenty of light. Here is the only picture i have of it.

Sorry about the horrible picture quality. These were taken with my crappy phone. Maybe one day i will own a working camera bigger than 2 megapixels

By the way this is my first viv, as well as first experience with darts, so if you have any suggestions or comments, don't hesitate!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Registered
436 Posts
are you watering the roots or putting water in the center? im pretty sure these don't absorb water from roots. also, i've had one of these in my tank for about a month and a half, with very little root growth. i think it just takes time. be patient :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
i have a few questions i believe some of you experts might be able to help me with.

1. My 2 cryptanthus "ruby" offsets are not taking root.

They dont root quickly at all.... IMO, if they aren't dead/dying, then they are fine...

2. Next question is kinda the opposite. I have some pilea "moon valley on the right side of my tank and its growing pretty huge. I'm not sure if i want to keep it there or replace it with something else. It has already bloomed for me!

Cut it back, rip it out, whatever you want...

(by the way what is the dusty stuff they explode out of their flowers when they open? the other day it looked like mini smoke bombs going off in there hahaha)

those are the pollen sacks i believe. it happened to me all of the time when i had one.

3. Alright last question for today. Does anybody have an ID on this brom? I picked it up at walmart for 5 bucks, but i have no idea what it is. My best guess it neoregelia "purple star".

i dont think you'll ever really find out...there a lot of look-a-likes...

By the way this is my first viv, as well as first experience with darts, so if you have any suggestions or comments, don't hesitate!

Does it have a glass top? what are your plans for inhabitants?

answers are in red

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
are you watering the roots or putting water in the center? im pretty sure these don't absorb water from roots. also, i've had one of these in my tank for about a month and a half, with very little root growth. i think it just takes time. be patient :)
The above part in bold is inaccurate.

Actually, cryptanthus are true terrestrials, they must absorb water from roots. In fact, they need to have moist soil in order to survive---but not soggy. They are not like epiphytes that mainly absorb moisture through the leaves. I have also heard that they do not take nutrients through the leaves well, either.

Bright light helps, too---they will not grow in shade.

Read this:

BASIC CULTURAL INFORMATION FOR CRYPTANTHUS BROMELIADS

·
Registered
995 Posts
The above part in bold is inaccurate.

Actually, cryptanthus are true terrestrials, they must absorb water from roots. In fact, they need to have moist soil in order to survive---but not soggy.
Clay works well aswell...

they will not grow in shade.
they will grow in shade, they just wont be as coloured as it would be in bright light.

·
Registered
802 Posts
2. If you pinch it back and remove the tall growth it should grow more "bushy". I have the same plant and I really like the leaves and pollen bursting, but the little hair-thin roots it throws out all over the place aren't my favorite.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies guys! i appreciate it. I guess i'm just being impatient as far as the cryptanthus go. Maybe plant growing isn't the best hobby for an instant gratification kinda guy like me hahaha. I have my own custom built 2 x 27 watt cfl light fixture (seen in this thread http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/64613-reason-why-i-build-my-own-lights.html ) over the tank so there is plenty of light, and i cut my own glass top so humidity is around 100% or so and its ff proof too. i just took the glass top off to take a few pictures. Inhabitants will be 2 five month old dendrobates auratus "blue" that are still in growout. They should be in there permanent home here within a week or two.

Peanutbutter i totally agree with you about those stupid roots. they just go everywhere! They have even gone all the way down into the water below the false bottom. Its irritating, but i do love the leaves of this plant. They give a nice contrast to all my other plants in there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, I'm wondering how well suited it is for viv conditions. It seems like the humidity inevitably makes the roots go crazy. Doesn't seem like there's much you can do about it, though I have trimmed the roots back so far and it just shot out new ones.

But the crinkly leaves add really nice texture and they have a nice coloring IMO. Kinda a reddish color in the center radiating out to green. Plus it blooms readily in a viv, so at least it's happy...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts