Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got a 4 pack of Vents from Josh's Frogs (Facebook auction) last week and today I saw two of them that appear to be calling. I can't hear anything but they are right next to each other puffing out their throats and you can see the whole frog tense up when they do it. I am assuming they are way to young to be calling. What age do they normally start calling? Is it possible they are practicing and not able to call yet? I have pretty good hearing but couldn't hear a sound. Of course the room is totally quiet with a reef tank running nearby.

The other question should probably go in the health section but I figured I would throw it in here while I was asking. One of the little guys has a crooked back and holds one leg right next to him all the time. We figured maybe he got hurt in shipping. They were packaged very well but you know how shipping companies can throw things around at times. Josh offered to replace him or give me a refund if he didn't heal up. I really would like for him to pull through though. He is still looks about the same but he seems to be coping with it okay. He isn't quite as active as the others but he does eat and although at times he seems to have some trouble getting around I have seen him climb up the glass to the top of the enclosure. Has anyone else had one that had an injury like this that healed up? If not, did the frog go on to live a nearly normal life? Here are a couple of pictures.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello, I got some vents a little while ago and one of their backs seemed crooked also, after about 2 weeks he seems normal, I am not sure if he just got a "kink" in it or what but he seems just fine now. I have heard of frogs calling at a very young age, I think someone said 3 or 4 months. Vents have a pretty quiet call so it could be that you could not hear them over the fish tank.

Good luck, Curtis

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Vents don't really puff out their throats when they call. Its more like their sides quiver and make a buzzing sound. I have a reef tank in my frog room along with fans in the lighting fixtures and I can still hear my vents call from 2-3 steps away.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Curtis, I am hoping he will recover. He does seem to be doing a little better lately.

Phender, they really didn't puff them out much, just a little bit. The sides did quiver when they were doing it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just thought I'd update everyone on my vents. The little guy with the crooked back is still that way however he seems to be getting around very well now and it doesn't seem to hinder him. I guess he is just going to be that way.

I caught one of the others calling again and was able to hear it after I turned off my skimmer on my reef tank. It is a pretty noisy beckett skimmer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts