Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda in panic mode right now. A.C. was out when I woke up this morning. Right now my tanks are at 80 degrees. I was going to just go buy a small window unit but honestly don't have the money to spend right now. I could get one if I absolutely had to but really really don't want to. My wife works just about a block away and said I could pack them all up(10 frogs) in q.t. containers and take them up there. You think this would be to much stress on the frogs and I should just bite the bullet and get the window unit? I'm a real deal Texan but even I'm getting tired of this heat. I honestly can't remember staying over 100 for this long.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
You could fill water bottles or covered plastic containers and put them in the vivs to keep the temps more stable.

Maybe some ice in a covered container?
Ice bags around the outside of the viv?

I'd probably throw them into QT containers and take them somewhere with working AC. There's a hotel up the street from me that I've picked out for my emergency frog shelter. :p

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Window AC units large enough for a bedroom can be had for $150-200. Even if you are strapped for cash, you could probably apply for a CC at the local HD/Lowes/Walmart etc, and pay it off early before interest becomes a problem (possibly save 10% with some introductory offer too).
I'd say that heat AND throwing all of your frogs into temp containers AND moving them to a new location could be a bit stressful for them. Finding a way to cool the room would be a much better option, plus you'll have a backup AC if this situation happens again.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got 3 viv's, 3 q.t. containers, and a 10g full of plants. A.C. guy can't come out til 4:30pm today. Would the Ice bags work for the plants?

·
Registered
508 Posts
That sounds dishonest. Unless he was going to ask to borrow it for a bit.
Again, Frogface is correct. You don't want to buy an a/c with the intent of returning it when everything is okay again. Not good.

If your a/c guy is going to make it out today, I believe that the ice will do just fine. The tanks are sealed, so it should last quite a while.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you using plastic quarantine containers? If so, you can place them in a circle around a container of ice and throw a towel over them. This will keep the frogs cool and settled in the dark -

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
I've got 3 viv's, 3 q.t. containers, and a 10g full of plants. A.C. guy can't come out til 4:30pm today. Would the Ice bags work for the plants?
The plants should be fine without the ice. I wouldn't worry unless you have some species that are anecdotally reported as sensitive to the temperatures (like terriblis) unless the temperatures are likely to get over 85 F.

If you are concerned you can put them in containers in a large cooler with either phase change panels or large bottles/bags of cold tapwater. The tapwater in most areas should be in the low 70s and will keep the cooler temperatures in a safe zone until the AC is fixed.

People often overestimate the sensitivity of most frogs to stress.

Ed

·
Registered
253 Posts
I already mentioned this in another thread, but check your A/C condensation drain. More often than not the drain is clogged which causes the A/C to shut off. As soon as you drain the water and clear the clog your A/C should start right up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Temps are at 85 and rising right now. I started thinking about the plants and bugs and what not and figured whats $150 to save well over $1k worth of stuff? Got the window unit installed and waiting for things to cool off. I figure with heat like this it wont be the last time the a.c. goes out so I'll just hold onto the window unit. If we get a new central unit I'll just donate it. BCS was just being sensitive to the fact that money is tight right now. She's got the inside scoop on my situation. Luckily I know I have a big pay day coming soon and will be back to work on Monday so I won't have to return it. Just in a bit of a rough patch right now that thankfully I know is almost over. However, if it kept food on my table and prevented my frogs from cooking you better believe I'd be sitting in line receipt in hand. A little dishonest? Maybe if you lie about it, most return policy's are 30 days no questions asked though. Either way desperate times...well you know.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
easy A/C fix:

go buy a cheap box fan. take a small towel and moisten it. place the towel behind the fan draping it over. turn the fan on and voila, A/C! you will need to periodically add water to the towel, but it will work in a bind. evaporative cooling is great for these sort of tasks.

james

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
easy A/C fix:

go buy a cheap box fan. take a small towel and moisten it. place the towel behind the fan draping it over. turn the fan on and voila, A/C! you will need to periodically add water to the towel, but it will work in a bind. evaporative cooling is great for these sort of tasks.

james
Doesn't work so well when the humidity is close to the dew point.

Ed

1 - 20 of 31 Posts