Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am a new dart frog owner <3 I got some culture kits and get the basics " I think" however im unsure when to change the flies to a new one and also what do i do with the larva? Am i suppose to keep them in the container until they grow into flies? I want to raise them so i don't have to buy them all the time. Any help is needed thanks!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
But media from a sponsor, then mix about a half inch with water until it's like mash potatoes, then add a pinch of yeast, and a coffee filter. Then add about 20 flies from a previous culture, and your done. The flies should populate in about a week or two. Then just repeat with another culture.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just a question.. what is the yeast for? I have been culturing flies for a few months without yeast.

As far as OP's question.. dont have to remove anything.. leave larvae in and turn to flies.. then when you make a new culture.. just shake about 20-30 flies from your previous culture into the mix as mentioned above.. and it will take off.. when old one gets gross.. just throw it away.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeast is a good source of food for fruit flies (rich in protein), so they'll be nice and nutritious for your hungry frogs

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Just a question.. what is the yeast for? I have been culturing flies for a few months without yeast.

As far as OP's question.. dont have to remove anything.. leave larvae in and turn to flies.. then when you make a new culture.. just shake about 20-30 flies from your previous culture into the mix as mentioned above.. and it will take off.. when old one gets gross.. just throw it away.

There are two different kinds of yeast used in the media. (this is a topic that has been extensively covered on the forum and accessiable via the search function). The first type is nutritional/brewer's yeast which is dead or inactive yeast which increases the protien content of the media. This increases the productivity of the culture. Too much added to the media will reduce yields. The second type of yeast is live yeast/baker's yeast /activated yeast, this is added to the culture to help prevent other microbes from getting established in the cultures and to encourage a more rapid egg deposition. Neither is necessary for production but yields are going to be better and depending on other factors possibly more rapid as you don't have to wait for yeast to get going to stimulate egg deposition.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts