Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Cristobal can range from red to orange. Since they came in on the same shipment, it is probably safe to put him together with one of the redder ones from the same shipment. This years import? I guess you would label them Cristobal 2011.
Get some other input first though. Skysdale would probably be a good source to advise you if they can properly be grouped together.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
yeah, the recent imports are highly variable, as are the offspring. My breeding pair from the 2010 imports produce orange to blood red offspring, with and without spots, etc. Just pair him up with another from the recent imports. Best you can do.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
yeah, the recent imports are highly variable, as are the offspring. My breeding pair from the 2010 imports produce orange to blood red offspring, with and without spots, etc. Just pair him up with another from the recent imports. Best you can do.
You want to keep them separate from different year imports though, right? So make sure to "label" them with the import year?

·
Banned
579 Posts
Many or almost all recent imports are coming from strictly reptiles in florida. Theyre a wholeseller....at first it sounds sweet to get a beautilful pumilio for only $40, but you better have that first aid kit ready( baytril,panacur,metron) and fecal sample $ because it usually doesent go good for those little guys coming from strictly. they literally get one day or less of rest coming from panama and being shipped out.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Nothing wrong with them in my opinion, as long as youre willing and or dedicated to work with them harder with treatment and what not....but pretty pumilio nonetheless...

·
Banned
579 Posts
Oh I know sndf and a few others....but would you agree that strictly has brought in higher volume? At least 2011? I know of a few who pick from strictly and then claim as their own import....Soorten fotoalbum

Check out las tablas and delicias ... its what was recently being sold as bribri and eldos...would you agree?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I believe "Delicias" is the European tag for what we call (or what someone thought would be a great marketable name) "El Dorado." As I understand it, they are the southern extant of the BriBri population...the end that is in Panama and legally collectable. With clinal variation, the southern end is more orange than the deeper red of the northern end, "Bri Bri." I would assume that perhaps Las Tablas is the European equivalent of Bri Bri? Would like hear from others if this is incorrect, however.

Sometimes the Europeans actually have the locale info...whereas Americans like to come up with some marketable slang phrase (Giant Orange, El Dorado, etc.).

·
Banned
579 Posts
Exactly! What I say too....do europeans happen to have a little more on the specifics or just like us....slap a marketable name on it and....$ ? if the legal ( panamanian)site of bribri is what we got, why not just call it bribri? Haha tricky

·
Banned
579 Posts
Simply looking at my sndf el dorados and what was given to me as cb " las tablas" they just do not match eldos being much smaller and tablas actually having blueish feet....and these tablas I know for a fact came in on 3-31-11 in a group of about 10. If it was up to me, Id sell them as 2011 orange pumilio imports...

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The variability alone within certains populations like bri bri, el dorado, etc makes me very hesitant to call anything by an artifical moniker. I believe sticking to the import date and only pairing those same frogs up in the best approach. Even then, there is a high probability that the frogs imported together are collected from multiple locations. As a hobby, I really wish we could get away from site names (without site data) and start using some type of numerical cataloging system.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
lets remember those names are all 'made up' guesses based upon look.....
That's good to know, Shawn. I actually don't deal with importers so am not completely familiar with how things work...I assumed they were getting that info from exporters or collectors. But I'll take it all with a grain of salt.

stemcellular said:
As a hobby, I really wish we could get away from site names (without site data) and start using some type of numerical cataloging system.
Some of us have been saying this for some time now...the killifish hobby has done an amazing job in tracking animals. Even if a fish is collected from a puddle/pool a few yards away from another puddle/pool (at the time the two being isolated from one another), fish from each are given different numeric codes and subsequently tracked.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.