Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the holidays I've been taking extra care of my frogs. I've become rather tedious about misting every day and feeding every other day. I've gotten almost everything calling. This morning I woke up around the time my lights came on and I heard a sound I've never heard before. It sounded very much like a duck quacking. It was quacking with about the same time differential that my bassleri calls. Then I heard the bassleri chime in and the quacking stopped. I'm wondering if this was my bassleri warming up, or if my valerioi were calling before they went to bed (I've never heard my valerioi call). I guess long story short, has anyone witnessed a bassleri quack rather than chirp?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've heard a weird "quack" call in my room around where I have all the bassleri and pepperi as well as some younger histos, so I always wondered which frog it was. I've tried to sneak over there and pinpoint it but failed everytime. It would make sense that the bassleri or pepperi were doing it as they are pretty alert to movement, histos normally don't care if you look at them or not.

the frog that has surprised me the most with odd calls are femoralis, they even growl like a dog.

cool stuff
Eric

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yeah, I have three populations of bassleri and two populations of pepperi and they all sound different.
glad you can tell the difference, becuas eto me they sound similiar, but I've never tried to tell the difference.

Currently I have 3 populations of bassleri and 1 pepperi population

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bassleri definitely chirp. I'm convinced this was just them warming up. It was a month before I got my histos.

Histos sound a bit like a pumilio, but a lot lower. I've heard them described as a "quack" on more than one occasion.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I'm curious to hear these quacks! The only frog I've had that quacked were green tree frogs(Hyla cinerea), just like a duck ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
yeah you are right jake, Its been a long time and im trying to remember the histos. They may have sounded like quacking but not real loud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts