Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't really been able to find information on these guys. Done some googling and a number of searches on DB. Anyone know anything specific?

Also, as a side note. I've never kept frogs before. Good or bad first frog?

Also, what exactly is the difference/connection between these guys and A. hahneli?

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
I have what I think is a 1.2. They've bred for me once but are young and still in the "figuring things out" phase. They lay huge clutches and tadpole care seems pretty standard for the Ameerega/Epip frogs. Apparently, the froglets come out tiny, so a small feeder is a important. I haven't morphed out my tads yet, so I can't comment on whether melos are small enough or it springs are necessary. I'll seed the grow out well and try flies also.

The adults are on the smallish side, bigger than pumilio but smaller than most auratus. I have pictures posted on here of a male calling from a film can to give a size reference.

I think they are fine for beginners. They don't seem particularly difficult but are quite underappreciated. One thing I'll say is that they are obnoxiously loud and tend to call in the morning and close to lights out, so probably not a frog you want to sleep in the same room with.

The difference between these and hahneli?...At one point, they were considered the same species. They were split into their respective species recently based on differing calls, ranges, and through genetic studies. They are sister taxa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

That information about the loudness of their call is important. Not only would they be in the same room I sleep in, but I'm sharing the room with someone else. Probably not the best choice in a frog. It's a shame though as they seem really beautiful to me.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

That information about the loudness of their call is important. Not only would they be in the same room I sleep in, but I'm sharing the room with someone else. Probably not the best choice in a frog. It's a shame though as they seem really beautiful to me.
its a high pitch, I would say if noises bother you when you sleep then they are not a good idea becuase they will continue to call once lights are out.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Thanks for the replies!

Maybe you could insulate most of the tank except for the front view and some around the lights with Dynamat :D
http://www.dynamat.com/

Spray paint it, or cover it in black contact paper. You could even do the front of the viv up to the top of the substrate layer. Probably would actually make a decent difference on the loudness and how far he call carries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you could insulate most of the tank except for the front view and some around the lights with Dynamat :D
The Official Dynamat Website

Spray paint it, or cover it in black contact paper. You could even do the front of the viv up to the top of the substrate layer. Probably would actually make a decent difference on the loudness and how far he call carries.
This would be a great idea... Unfortunately I'm not making a background and am planning on a 360º view of a overgrown pile of bricks. I might silicone bricks to the back wall, but that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
This would be a great idea... Unfortunately I'm not making a background and am planning on a 360º view of a overgrown pile of bricks. I might silicone bricks to the back wall, but that remains to be seen.
Ya 360 view limits your options :(

Ok so here is what you do... Find some high tech noise cancellation gear. Maybe contact bose systems or something... Or take a part a bunch of high priced head phones and setup an array of noice cancilation mic/speakers all around the top and bottom perimeter :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya 360 view limits your options :(

Ok so here is what you do... Find some high tech noise cancellation gear. Maybe contact bose systems or something... Or take a part a bunch of high priced head phones and setup an array of noice cancilation mic/speakers all around the top and bottom perimeter :D
This would be awesome!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
True. I need to have an alarm though. Also, I'm sharing the room I live in with another person (I'm in college), and I think it'd be rude if set up a situation where he would have to wear ear plugs to sleep. The calling after sundown part would be a non issue. It's just in the morning.

On a side note, what species of frogs are notoriously quiet (i.e. don't call often and/or have quiet calls)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
True. I need to have an alarm though. Also, I'm sharing the room I live in with another person (I'm in college), and I think it'd be rude if set up a situation where he would have to wear ear plugs to sleep. The calling after sundown part would be a non issue. It's just in the morning.

On a side note, what species of frogs are notoriously quiet (i.e. don't call often and/or have quiet calls)
Tinc/azureus, auratus, galacts :)confused: My damn reds have never called). I think most of the larger frogs are fairly quiet. I'm not sure about thumbnails, I've only had a few species and they were in a back room, not sure I even ever heard my GL sirensis call even though they produced several froglets before the ice storm took em out.

The epi/ameegra clans seems to be the loudest for the most part.

P.S. I sleep listening to rain sounds from my phone on earbuds and that might help some, as the phone will still ring and they don't make you so deaf an alarm clock is unlikely to wake you up.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a verity of sizes available. They do call early in the morning and in the late evening. So, you may want to work something out with your room mate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts