Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I started a new ff culture on 30april and yesterday most of the ff in that culture was doing well till today as I found 95% of the ff in the culture was dead...what happen that could wipe ot 95% of ff over night? What the average life span of the Melo ff ?
The ff I use to start the new cultures are like 3-4weeks old mix from a few different cultures.
I found some mites but not a lot of them in that culture.
The is not the first time I am facing this problem, out of 10 culture I make 2-3 will die out like that after a week.
I am also using mite paper from black jungle and I change them every 3weeks.

The media I am using is
6parts of instant potato
1part of brewer yeast
1part sugar
2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
50 hot water\50 white vinegar
A pinch of instant yeast
Keeping them at 27-28degree C.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Are you seeing larva growing in the culture or is the culture totally defunct?

Are you stacking cultures on top of one another?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I always use the newest hatched flies I have to start my new cultures and throw out cultures at 4 weeks. Not sure if this could be why yours are dying, but it's a start.

Actually if you keep this up you will end up with cultures that only produce one emergence from pupae and then crash as you are genetically selecting the flies to be intolerant of later conditions in the cultures.

Ed

Reactions: Mitch

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you seeing larva growing in the culture or is the culture totally defunct?

Are you stacking cultures on top of one another?

Just check the culture I have seen about 50 or less larva growing in it now.
I didn't stack the culture on top of each other , but I read up some where on the internet that could it be co2 poisoning ? As I think accidentally add too much yeast to it like 80-100 grain to the culture ..and if its c02 poisoning , why would the ff die after 6 days only??

I remember on the 4 day, I added some water to the media as it was too dry... Could that affect it as well?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Actually if you keep this up you will end up with cultures that only produce one emergence from pupae and then crash as you are genetically selecting the flies to be intolerant of later conditions in the cultures.

Ed
Hi Ed,
I have always started new cultures from ones that are about two weeks old. My cultures are still producing when I toss them out at 4 weeks. Can you elaborate on the proper way? I was under the impression that you shouldn't start new cultures from old ones because of the flies being older.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Just check the culture I have seen about 50 or less larva growing in it now.
I didn't stack the culture on top of each other , but I read up some where on the internet that could it be co2 poisoning ? As I think accidentally add too much yeast to it like 80-100 grain to the culture ..and if its c02 poisoning , why would the ff die after 6 days only??

I remember on the 4 day, I added some water to the media as it was too dry... Could that affect it as well?

I doubt it was CO2 poisoning as that should have also killed the larva. Although it is possible for the larva to have hatched out after the event. I use a fair bit of active yeast in my cultures (often more than you are using).

Are you getting condensation in the cultures?

Ed

·
Registered
752 Posts
my parent flies dont last too much longer than that in the new cultures, but it is longer than 6 days i would say. i usually give them several days to do their work then feed out most of them any way though. possible they have lived several days in the parent culture before use or maybe flies in older culures have shorter life spans? talking out my bum though...Ed is the expert

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I am not an expert... I just dig into things that interest me so I can understand them better...

Ed

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I doubt it was CO2 poisoning as that should have also killed the larva. Although it is possible for the larva to have hatched out after the event. I use a fair bit of active yeast in my cultures (often more than you are using).

Are you getting condensation in the cultures?

Ed
Nope, no condensation in my cultures.
So its ok to add more instant yeast to the cultures, anyway I always get mold like greenish white stuff growing on top of my media when I use a lot of instant yeast, it that normal?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just curious, what is your dry:liquid ratio? Do you do it by volume, weight, eyeball?

I've had this problem, too, in general with the high vinegar content. My problem has mostly been due to evaporation. With the high vinegar mixtures, I'd lose the culture in a heartbeat if it dried just a little bit.

I keep mine in a room with an overhead fan on high speed. To combat that problem, I:

1. Add more water to the mixture, and stir it well, instead of measuring
2. Stack the cultures (the 32-oz deli cups with the rounded bottoms leave the outer "circle" of ventilation exposed on the cup below) to reduce evaporation
3. Occasionally place an old DVD on the top culture if I think it will dry out. The hole in the DVD lets enough air in.

I can vouch for what Ed said about using the first emergence for propagation. I did that, and would gradually see cultures produce less and less. Now, I use the older "healthy" cultures for propagation. At least two generations back, or cultures that are 2+ weeks old.

And I also have problems when I add too much yeast. Try about 10 grains. I'll usually give the culture a single spray of water after I add the yeast. Probably not necessary, but it seems to make me feel good. :)

Good luck,
Greg

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Nope, no condensation in my cultures.
So its ok to add more instant yeast to the cultures, anyway I always get mold like greenish white stuff growing on top of my media when I use a lot of instant yeast, it that normal?
Is this what your "mold" looks like or is it slimy and flatter to the media?

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would think that if you had a layer of that over the whole media, that it would be a problem. I'm surprised that much managed to grow with a 50/50 vinegar.

How many flies did you add when you started it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would think that if you had a layer of that over the whole media, that it would be a problem. I'm surprised that much managed to grow with a 50/50 vinegar.

How many flies did you add when you started it?
I usually add 50-100 files to start a new culture . Yup I am also surprise with 50% of vinegar this much of mold can grow ... Maybe the place I am staying has very high humidity level like 70% or more..

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Are you using coffee filters in your cultures or did you break up the surface of the media?

Ed

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm not an expert by any means...not even close, but in your recipe:

-- snip --
6parts of instant potato
1part of brewer yeast
1part sugar
2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
50 hot water\50 white vinegar
A pinch of instant yeast
-- snip --

I noticed that all of your measurements are relative, except the cinnamon. How much total media are you making? Also, I'm wondering if sprinkling some cinnamon or turmeric on top of the media would slow the mold down.

From personal experience, I've noticed that if you can hold the mold off until the larvae start "churning" the top-layer of media, then usually the mold won't get a foothold, until the culture starts to slow down.

If it becomes a real problem, you can always order some methyl paraben. If you have a small number of frogs, it will last you *long* time.

Did that culture in the picture stink?

Greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts