Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as some of you know, I had a little mishap with my planned frog room. With the missus and I thinking of adding to our family again I've decided to scratch the rack and get something a little different.

I picked up this 92 gallon corner bowfront tank today. It came with a Current Nova T5 HO fixture, a glass top, and a massive Ehiem canister filter (might be too much for this tank! Trade anyone?).

I have plenty of EcoWeb and cork bark for a background. The only trouble is going to be making use of the space throughout the middle portion of the tank.

I would like to do a faux rock wall waterfall/drip on the right side into a smallish pool.

Here it is in our bedroom:

Here are some of the plants that will go into it. I have some hoya around here somewhere and another 10gal tank full of broms.

I'm not 100% set on how I would like this to look. I will probably throw in all the wood I have along with come cork bark on the back wall and see how it looks. I might have to go the fake tree root system route. I am going to clean and sanitize it this weekend, as well as test out the canister filter to see how low I can set the flow rate.

It's going to take a while to get all the hardscape, ventilation, and drilling done. Not to mention the planting!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I was checking out used corner tanks like this when I was unsure about what I wanted for a display. How do you gain access inside these tanks? Do you need to completely remove the top every time you want to feed, or does it somehow hinge back out of the way.

In any case, it should be a fun one to watch come together.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Grimm - The canopy is a very light faux wood plastic contraption. There is a black plastic cover on top of the canopy that you have to lift up to get at the glass top on the tank.

I was test fitting some corkbark to fit in the corner of the tank. I will silicone the black plastic triangle on once I am finished.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Steve,

You might want to cut the cork bark down a few inches and cover that big hole in the back if you don't want your frogs to get out. :D

That is an awesome tank and as a corner tank you get the maximum use of the space. I can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks!

Grimm - The canopy is a very light faux wood plastic contraption. There is a black plastic cover on top of the canopy that you have to lift up to get at the glass top on the tank.

I was test fitting some corkbark to fit in the corner of the tank. I will silicone the black plastic triangle on once I am finished.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Steve that is a nice tank, if that filter ends up being too powerful shoot me a PM, I have a couple canister filters here that may work better for that tank.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not too much has happened since my last post. While cleaning everything up this weekend I took the canister filter in the bathroom to test it out. After I started filling up the tub, I picked up the canister filter and immediately dropped it onto the tile floor. Now I have one large and broken canister filter.

I siliconed the EcoWeb panels on, took one tube per side. The bottom of the panels are roughly 4 inches above the bottom of the tank. FYI - cut EcoWeb/EpiWeb with a bread knife, not surgical shears. The knife was 100x easier on my thumb and patience.

Then I foamed in the back piece of cork bark. It's curing and untrimmed in this picture. I also did a little test fitting with some other pieces of cork bark.

I might scrap the whole dripwall/waterfall idea. The wood on the right is for roughing out a pond size.

I'm probably going to just use infield conditioner, no false bottom. The brand I have found locally is PrimeraOne ($10 for 50lbs). Here is the MSDS: http://www.primeraturf.coop/Field_Conditioners/msds_primeraone_field_conditione.pdf. It has fairly consistent particle size, although the particles are small. I wonder how they compare to the other brands people use.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looking good, when I was in reefs this was always my favorite tank. Would make a killer viv as well. Cant wait to see more. I need to see if I can find this infield stuff for the drainage layer locally. What kind of store do you look in? Does lowes or places like that have this?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
... What kind of store do you look in? Does lowes or places like that have this?
Check out a John Deere store nearby, or most any place that does professional landscaping. Just give them a call and ask if they carry infield conditioner.

I don't think they would have it at Lowes/Home Depot.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interested to know how you are growing your broms out of tank. Can't see the medium that they are planted in.
In the 2nd picture I posted, the broms are just mounted on top of some kitty litter clay. I have small net pots and lots of fishing line for mounting them various places in the 92gal tank. If you have a brom with a stolon and a great stuff background, you can stick the stolon straight into the GS background.

Also,
Thanks for the link Wil!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went back to take pictures of the "broken" canister filter. Well, not surprisingly, I was totally wrong and all I had to do was click the top back down.

Being the impatient person that I am, I immediately wanted to try it out. After giving things a quick rinse out in the tub. I proceeded to flood the bathroom by getting the filter running. A not completely sealed line plus me pulling that sterilite box (1/2 full of water) off the counter lead to every towel we had (thankfully just washed) ending up on the floor.

Thankfully, I only got laughed at by my wife! :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
ahahahaha thats funny. If i had a dollar for every time i've flooded my bathroom or clogged the drain, i wouldn't ever have to pay for my hobbies!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very true Ryan!

I got a little bit of work done today. I decided to scrap any sort of moving water and just went with a bit of a pool. Still can't quite decide what to do with that right side above the fake rocks.

Hopefully I will be able to get this sucker planted tomorrow. Some of the plants in my picture at first haven't fared too well so they might not make an appearance.

I think I should be able to cover up all the still exposed pond foam in a clay/moss mix.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure if I the infield conditioner I got had the wrong granule size or what but, it seemed like it was wicking water to the top. So, I added another 50 lbs of gravel on top of what was already in there.

Then in went the clay substrate, leaf litter, and of course - plants.

I ran out of the moss/clay mix pretty quick so I whipped up another batch and am letting it 'age' for a while. I mix water, sphagnum, cornstarch, sugar, and sodium bentonite in a blender. Strain out most of the water with a paint strainer, then let it sit covered under light for a couple of weeks. Once that is done I mix in some harder pieces of redart/bentonite in to give it more structure. Hopefully this allows a biofilm to reestablish more quickly once it gets transfered into the viv. I intend to cover all the exposed pond foam in this mix.

You can see the mix covering the seam of the cork bark on the far left, right against the glass. Also you can see some of it working up on the right side of the furthermost piece to the right, along the seam from the fake rocks.

I'm not really sure if I like the crazy clump of hoya on the right side.

Still to do: Drill for misting, internal air circulation, temp/humidity probes, and maybe a little bit of additional lighting for the very back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks great so far and im sure the Hoya will look great once it establishes and starts filling in.
Logan

·
Registered
903 Posts
Steven,

Looking nice! I like the small pool/pond on the side. I recently finished constructing a vivarium with a similar feature. I like the Hoya on the side too, and think it will look great once it fills the wall.
Is that Philodendron verrucosum at the back center of the vivarium? If so, it will explode once the roots get down to the water level...so prepare to trim every couple months!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts