Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*so my grand 90g protean tank just came in and I am diving into the build I've been planning for some time now. hopefully it will be a fusion of a couple distinct techniques on here.

So it's 2x2x3' and willl house 4 A. pepperi. I'm hoping to pull of a deteriorating soft stone waterfall on the right side, *overlooking a large water feature and have exposed *roots and limbs on the left side and in the center.

My computer just *died so I'll rrelegated to my wife's ipad, so I appologize if some of the pictures are upsidedown for the time being, untilI I get in front of a rea computer.

I'd love to get some feedback as i'm on spring break for the week and in a position to put some serious hours into it. Any thoughts on the rock work?my hot knife broke 20 minutes into it so *im using kitchen cutlery...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Quick update, got most of the pieces of the Rockwell cut up and a good portion painted. Also put a bunch of the wood up. It's hard to tell but the woods also on the left side pane. Again, sorry for the angle of these. Any thoughts or layout recommendations before I do anything else irrevocable?
Here's a front shot and a shot from the right side

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Bit of a slow day, had to take the kitten to get spayed and last can of great stuff was a dud. You can't really see from the pic, but it's shaping up to having some nice vertical depth. Definitely tried to make up for the water feature wt frog friendly vertical space

A bit hard to tell what's going on wt the cell pic

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks field, I ended up leaving it partly open in the back simply because any input from my wife on the viv world is judiciously taken ;)

Just did the first round of planting, still have one order coming in from hydrophyte anyone from Bonnie next week to finish up the flora, at least until I can afford some nice orchids"

The water level isn't up yet as I had a small leak thats p,urged and curing right now. But, here is yet another crappy picture

·
Registered
552 Posts
I really like it!

Only thing I wanted to make you aware of is that another member on here... brain fart and can't think of the name right now, found some info that polystyrene has shown to disrupt some endocrine pathways. It looks like that foam is polystyrene so I just thought I'd share, my apologies if it's not! There's also a bunch of people that have used it with no noticeable effects but I trashed a background I had been working on after I found that out just to be safe.

Again, I think it looks fantastic. I really like the bit protruding from the left side.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey max, thanks for the reply. I was a little leery about the polyStyrene, but it does have three coats of drylok on it, so here's yo hoping it's okay.

Also, the design, though not clear from the pic is set up for Tito be viewed at an angle, so once I get my computer back , hopefully I can get a better pic representing how it actually looks

·
Registered
797 Posts
I took the liberty of turning your last picture right side up :) Hope you don't mind.

The tank looks great. Hopefully the little buggers will scoot well all over the place. I think an Anubias nana (or something similar) would look great growing along the 'stream'. What is that plant on the ground in the back-middle? I think I may have to pick one up sometime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I get it now...Stunning! It was tough to visualize what it would look like finished without being planted and with the sideways pics. Now it all makes sense...and looks amazing! Honestly, I really dig the exposed glass, glad you listened to the wife and not me haha.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
little update with better pics.
Got a plant order in (one more on the way) and set up my mistking kit.

water feature with lilaeopsis mauritiana, various anubias and a few bits of stuff

rock wall with anubias hastifolia, anubias bartleri, rhaphidophora hayi, java fern, and bits of moss

full tank shot

floor shot

the shinglers et al

top of the viv (supposed to be something like the top of an eroding river bank)

More pics to come once I get the rest of the plants and things start to grow in

·
Registered
120 Posts
I absolutely love the design of this tank!!! How your separate the top from the bottom is genius-- You still get the full height of the tank PLUS you get the full floor space underneath :) Hit my sweet spot with the water area and rock wall. Very nicely done!! I might pull some inspiration from this tank during my next build whenever that is.... Keep up the pics! Can't wait to see those froggers.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and, if you're interested in those little mini red philodendrons, ask him if he has both varieties, turns out he has 2 and the really small one throws some really cool bronze leaves while the other one has a nice contrast; I love how they all look wt the wend imbe since they all have the same leave shape and swollen petiole of the wend imbe

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.