Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first viv build. I figured that I might as well go big or not at all.

So I tore down my 90 cichlid tank and built a false bottom out of egg crate. Built on top of that 1 wet wall that will be a water fall. The other tree will on the right side will be a pump access and and heater section to hid all the wires. There will be a sort of cat walk linking the two.

Iam still not sure what we will keep in the tank, we are debating dart frogs or gekos.

But my question is where can I find coco-nut fiber, to cover the back ground with. I picked up some eco earth today and was told that it is stringy like coco fiber but its just dirt. I guess I will use it for the plants and the bottom.

I will post pic of the build as I go along. If any one has any comments please chime in, always want to hear ideas.

Thanks L

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Eco-earth is coco fiber. Just make sure it is dry before applying it to the background - id recommend baking it in the oven at 250F for awhile, thinly spread on a cookie sheet.

Eco-earth alone doesnt make a good substrate. I use a mix of eco-earth, leaves, LFS, horticultural charcoal, and orchid bark, in approx. a 2:1:1:1:3 ratio. This mix drains much better, and your plants will thank you.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Till its dry! :D

I typically leave it in for about 30 minutes at first, then stir it with a fork - the damp coco bedding will appear darker. Just keep stirring and cooking for 15 minutes inbetween stirs, and you should get it all bone dry.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so havint had time to do a lot of work to the tank this last week.

My new question is I want to use a new fluval 403 on this tank for water movement and filtration.

So my question is can I just use it over the back and not burn the filter out. Or would drilling the back be a better idea?

And if any one has used a canester over the back with about 6 inchs of water and not have the filter burn out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
allright 2 things....i have the same as you but a 20g cichlid tank, when you tore it down did you still have fish in it???because i really want to do this but i will sortof feel bad for my fish :oops:

then how do you guys hide the wires...i once saw a post of someone making a tree trunk so i guess you could put them up and out through that but how would you astetically (sp) get the wires out so you dont see them????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the tree trunk I was just going to build it to about a inch of the top of the tank. That way when I make the lid I will be able ot slide a insurt in to the top and block it off.

I did have some nice fish in the tank. I sold what I could and gave the rest away. I did feel bad but I made sure they went to good homes.

Find a fish club in your area they will be more then happy to take them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah did you find the post about the tree trunks?? its was a very good one if i can remember
and yeah i guess giving them to a fish club would be fine....i have a parrot , high fin pleco, 2 black skirt tetras, cobalt lue zebra, and i think its called someting zeal......its purple with yellow fins... :p
but yeah more about your tank.... you have to keep the post updated lots lol
i love seeing vivs from people that are first time builders as they usually bring new cool ideas to the table

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have lots of ideas just no time. But this weekend is a tank weekend. I plan on drilling the holes in the back and fitting the canister filter, to the back of the tank. And after that if I can get that done in half a day I will finish the internal plumbing. I will post pics.

Thank
L

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so I managed to drill the tank and finish the internal plumping, I will post some pics when I get home.

Iam hoping to get the coco fiber all done tonight. I just want to know how do you guys manage to get such nice coverage of the coco fiber on the great stuff????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here are some pics of the plumping and the back of the tank plumping.

The first on is where the water fall will be in the center of the tank and the second is of where the river will start.

[/img]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It will be run off a fluval 405 I picked up a little while ago.

I figure that I can use the filter to run the water features and use it as filtration.

With the small amount of water in there I think it will be over kill on the filtration, with lots of water movement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so I finaly finished, the majority of the build.

Here are some details.

90g tank
Fluval 405 for filtration and water features.
standered build with egg crate, silocone and great stuff.
For plants its just what is in there now there will be some things added as I go.
tank is drilled at the back and the filter is running to the back.

Here are some pics please comment and suggsestions are always welcome.

I also dont know what to put in it as far as criters go. I have been thinking of PDF, or gekos but I suspect that I wont be able to go with gekos due to the water in there. So please suggest what you think will go best.

I was thinking here a money tree or som sort of tropical tree that likes wet feet.

This is un finished because I want to have moss or some sort of cliing water plant below the water fall.

[/img]

·
Registered
407 Posts
whenever you get it setup, you should throw a guppy or two in the water portion for fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have small pleco in the water now and a small chery barb in there to cycle the water a little, I used part tank water part new water.

For the back ground I will be using a standered back ground from the pet store to hid the wall I just need to find one I like.

·
Registered
182 Posts
lmpt said:
I also dont know what to put in it as far as criters go. I have been thinking of PDF, or gekos but I suspect that I wont be able to go with gekos due to the water in there. So please suggest what you think will go best.
Hi.
That'd be a nice tank for Phelsuma geckos. I have kept both P madagascarensis and some of the smaller species in paludariums.

The only trouble with them is that they tend to mess up glasses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I was thinking I couldint go with the gekos originaly was that there was too much water. But I will have to look into the gekos you sugested.

Iam picking up the plantes today. So hope fully by tonight I will have new pic's up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts