Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new tank today. 90(ish) gal cube. 30x30x25

It's a drilled tank and I'm debating a shallow lazy river along the front or just use as drainage for the false bottom. The background will be cork bark on 2 sides. Hardscape is yet to be determined. I've got a big box of wood on the way and will decide how best to use it once it arrives.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That the the exact tank I want to do my next build in...looking forward to seeing your progress.

Personally I would like to figure out a way to do a less than lazy river...I am not sure how to keep that much current going though. And really, a long tank would be better for the river/stream devoted tank that I have in mind.

·
Registered
50 Posts
a small river would be really nice if you slope the substrate to the front and put a pump with a ball valve on it to control speed of river would be great. Look forward to seeing what you do, either way should look great.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally had time to get the tank cleaned up and in the house yesterday. I made a quick platform just to start trying out some wood placement. My original plan was to have a small lazy river, but unless I have either a steep embankment or give up more land space, I'm not sure how to make it work and have it look real good. Ditching that idea for now, I threw a few pieces of wood in the bottom and I really like the look of a lower/upper level.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Really like the layout in the first picture, and also dig the idea of the 2 floors (if thats what you are doing). Cant wait to see the progress you are making:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm moving forward without the water feature. Today, I installed the humidifier and put up the wall separating the two levels. The idea was to make it taller than the upper portion to create a bowl to hold the ABG in place.

From the front

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick shot - dry fit the cork background, make sure I have the pieces I want. I had to break up some large, really great chunks of cork, but nothing would lay flat and took up too much room if left alone. I'm going to use black spray foam to hold everything in place.

Also thought I would add a pic of the humidifier. This is the Vicks Ultra Quiet Cool Mist Humidifier. First was a reducer from 2" to 3/4". Then a small piece of 3/4" pvc pipe, followed by a 3/4" coupler and then just shoved that into some flexible tubing that was left over from a sump. This thing makes a ton of mist and has no problem pushing it to the top of the tank.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Quick shot - dry fit the cork background, make sure I have the pieces I want. I had to break up some large, really great chunks of cork, but nothing would lay flat and took up too much room if left alone. I'm going to use black spray foam to hold everything in place.

Also thought I would add a pic of the humidifier. This is the Vicks Ultra Quiet Cool Mist Humidifier. First was a reducer from 2" to 3/4". Then a small piece of 3/4" pvc pipe, followed by a 3/4" coupler and then just shoved that into some flexible tubing that was left over from a sump. This thing makes a ton of mist and has no problem pushing it to the top of the tank.

What size humidifier is that? 1 gallon? How long and how many times do you run it a day? How long does the water in that reservoir last?

Loading bowls and building vivs! Braaap!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a 1.2 gal tank. I'm still finishing the build so I haven't given it a full test run yet. The box says it can run for 24 hours on a full tank. I'm only planning on using it a couple times each day as needed for temp/humidity control.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It has a 1.2 gal tank. I'm still finishing the build so I haven't given it a full test run yet. The box says it can run for 24 hours on a full tank. I'm only planning on using it a couple times each day as needed for temp/humidity control.

Let me know when you run it for a couple days. I've been wanting to buy the Vicks one like yours but haven't yet. My previous one was 1 gallon. I had it on two 40b verts for 6x times a day for about 6 min a day. The reservoir was empty daily, which I thought was odd. So I'm curious as to how to well the Vicks one works. Thanks man

·
Registered
792 Posts
I meant 6x times a day for six minutes each time. **

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I plan on using a MistKing for the early morning shower, then have the humidifier take over as the afternoon temps start to increase and humidity drops.

6 times at 6 mins each is only 36 mins. I'm surprised that would drain the tank. I'm planning for 2, maybe 3 times a day. So far I really like the Vicks. It is ultra quiet (as advertised) and puts out a ton of mist.

I finished foaming the background and will carve and silicone hopefully tonight. If all goes well, this tank should be up and running by the end of the week.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah man, 36 minutes...tell me about it. It's the weirdest thing. I had it on the highest setting but that shouldn't drain it. It wasn't Vicks so that's why I'm curious about yours. Anyways I'll quit blowing up your thread about nonsense.
By the way, you'll f ing love the mistking. So badass to not have to worry about humidity/watering flora. Good luck man, looking forward to seeing the progress pics

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The background is nearly completed. I used GS Pond/Stone to hold the cork flats in place. After carving the foam, I covered with silicone and ABG mix. I saw this idea on emallard25's tank and thought I would give it a try. Looks very good and I think it ties in with the cork much better than plain coco fiber. I still need to add some sphagnum to a couple missed cracks in the background, but other than that, I just need fill it up with ABG and add plants.

Close up of the background with ABG

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mohlerbear - I set up the humidifier today with a timer for a mini test. I ran it a total of 40 mins and the water level in the tank only dropped 1/4". It will run on its own all day tomorrow with a 15 min cycle in the morning followed by two 10 min cycles in the afternoon.
I'm testing tank temps and humidity with a digital hydro/thermometer so it may get adjusted after a few days of observations.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mohlerbear - I set up the humidifier today with a timer for a mini test. I ran it a total of 40 mins and the water level in the tank only dropped 1/4". It will run on its own all day tomorrow with a 15 min cycle in the morning followed by two 10 min cycles in the afternoon.

I'm testing tank temps and humidity with a digital hydro/thermometer so it may get adjusted after a few days of observations.

Fantastic! I'm sold, I'll have to go buy one this weekend. Thanks for keeping me updated chillplants. Can't wait to see that cube planted!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the majority of the planting done about a week ago, put some leaves on the upper portion this weekend. You will have to forgive the tags on the broms, I'm still not sure if this is final placement or not.
I'm trying to have Soleirolia soleirolii cover most of the bottom area, not sure if I should put leaves or not.

Left side-

Right side-

Shot from above-

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those interested in a plant list-

Orchids

Lepanthes calodictyon
Dendrobium moniliforme
Bulbopyllum miniatium