Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that my first viv is near completion I'm up for plant advice of where to put more plants. I do not know too much about orchids, which ones are hardy and keeping them successfully. Most other plants I can keep without troubles.

Sorry the quality of the photos are not very good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Are you interested in trying out orchids? What kind of frogs/other herps are going into that tank?

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you interested in trying out orchids? What kind of frogs/other herps are going into that tank?
Yes, I would like to try my hand at some orchids maybe Jewel Orchids. Only frogs will be in this possibly leucs or Patricia. It will definitely be one of those.
I've gotten great advice from here when I was planning this viv. So any information and advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can check out the collaborative plant database I’ve been working on - go to the “find the right plant” view and search on Plant Type = Orchid and Difficulty = Beginner, and you‘ll get a list of easy orchids with lots of info like size, watering, light, etc.

If you’re interested in jewels, the two easiest to grow and to acquire are Ludisia discolor and Macodes petola. Ludisia is comparatively much easier but it gets a little big. Macodes will do well with low light and moist soil, as long as water doesn’t sit on its leaves for long.

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harpspiel, thank you for this information. I'll take a look at your link right now.

Again, thanks for your help.

Gary

·
Registered
314 Posts
Fair warning, Airtable doesn’t work well in phone browsers. It’s much more usable on tablet or desktop browsers, and there is a mobile app but I’m not sure how to get links to open the app.

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is great! How did you make your background?
Thanks Rob,

Mostly a lot of Great Stuff and this being my very first viv I might have used too much. I used peat moss to cover that. I used 2 cork pieces and the rest natural wood. The vines are real too.
I attached photos of the early part of the build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts