Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: I just got 2 tincs last weekend and I started 2 cultures on Sun last week. I used the mashed pototoes, dry milk, sugar, and yeast method, it worked great. Now both of the cultures have larvae all over the bottom of them and some on the sides. I cant believe I got it right the first time. I was told it just doesnt work sometimes and I was prepared for it not working. Now I will have many flies. Hurrah. I even had some flies mate in my tincs tank and I saw a larvae crawling up the side of the glass and my tinc Keller ate him right up of the glass. :D

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Congratulations on your success. Having a reliable food supply for your frogs is probably the single most important element in keeping PDFs. There are a lot of good posts in the Food section of the Dendroboard that offer excellent advice on FFs and other sources of food.

Try to make sure you have some redundancy in your food supply because you never know when you might have a problem with your FF cultures (mites, mold, failed cultures). We have all been there and it's not a good feeling. Fortunately there are options that allow you to recover from those sorts of mishaps.

Good luck and enjoy your tincs. They are definitely some of my favorite frogs.

Bill

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Nugglar

Hi Nugglar,
I noticed that you don't use a mold inhibitor in your cultures. You may want to consider it. Its safe ans effective for your cultures. Or a trick I have been told is to microwave the cultures for 4 min and let cool before adding flies.
Dave

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were do I get a mold inhibitor and what is it called.

I see you have a mold inhibitor on your site. Can I get less of it that 1/2 pound. That is kinda expensive. Is there another place I can get something similar that is cheaper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
search for "methyl paraben", and compare prices

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when I make the mix, I should substitute 1/2 of the water with vinager, and that should work?

Oh and thx for all the help so far guys. :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yes, so if you are using 1/2 cup of water try 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup vinegar for example. Also put a couple drops of honey on the top of the media, it helps keep the vinegar smell down.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I use the 50/50 water/vinegar mixture in place of mold inhibitor myself. I never have problems with mold, but the cultures do get a bit stinky when they start to dry out.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see. Thx you guys. I will try that with my next culture in a week.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Arklier said:
I use the 50/50 water/vinegar mixture in place of mold inhibitor myself. I never have problems with mold, but the cultures do get a bit stinky when they start to dry out.
Arklier,

Does that include hydei cultures? I totally agree about melanogaster. I use 1/3 media, 1/4 vineger, 1/4 water, and then top it with about 1/8" to 1/4" of the 1c warm water + 1/4 tsp powdered sugar + 1/4 tsp baker's yeast slurrly. I get a huge yield at the 10 day mark and continued production until I thrown them out after about 4 - 5 weeks. I was going to start culturing hydei and was worried about the lack of vinegar causing mold and bought some Methyl Paraben since I understood that hydei aren't big fans of vinegar in their media. Thoughts?

Marcos

·
Registered
399 Posts
I tried vinegar in my Hydei and they all crashed. My Hydei do get a little moldy on top, but once the larvae start churning up the media it's fine.

As for my non Hydei cultures, I use 50/50 (water/vinegar) and it works great!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Amanda,

Thanks for the info. Once my hydei that I just ordered hatch, I will start a couple new cultures with that in mind. I have the Methyl Paraben in case things get too moldy here in humid Houston. Do you use a potato based media for your hydei? I'm looking forward to the hydei cultures since my tincs go through melanogaster like they're nothing :)

Marcos

·
Registered
399 Posts
I actually only use Ed's fly meat media. The Hydei formula outproduces anything/everything I have ever tried for Hydei. Ed's has the mold inhibitor in it already. I don't get the mold much, but when I do it's not an issue after 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not sure what type of flies I have. I will have to check with the seller. I got my culture at a reptile show along with the frogs.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was told I have Drosophila melanogaster. But I can see the red eyes very easily. They are pretty small flies though. Oh well. Guess I'll just keep culturing them and see how it goes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I use the water/vinegar for both hydeii and melanogaster, with good results. In fact, I use the same recipe for both:

8 parts potato flake
3 parts brewers yeast
1 part sugar

50/50 water/vinegar mix until correct consistency

Top with drop of honey and a pinch of bakers yeast.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They took a week to start seeing larvae in them. Now it has been almost 2 weeks, on Sun it will be 2 weeks, and right now there are larvae crawling all over the sides of the cultures. I think everything is going well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts