Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received 8 painted mantella, and am trying to figure out whether they are baroni, madagascariensis, or a mix. Here are pictures of each frog's dorsal and ventral sides. I've read that a horseshoe under the chin means madagascariensis, but not sure if that is true or not. Does anyone know what type of mantella each of these is?

Mantellas #1-5 (two pictures for each frog: dorsal first, then ventral). The dorsal side of each frog is on the left, and the ventral side of each frog is next to it on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It looks like more of them are bloated than just that one from your other post. Others are very skinny:(.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes there are 2 pictures of the bloated frog. The others are on the thin side, but they started eating as soon as I put them into their terrarium. The bloated frog will be making a trip to the amphibian vet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
8 painted mantella just received - madagascariensis &/or baroni?

Hope they do well for you, I had a painted mantella for about 8 years when I was younger, not sure how old it was when I got it. They are so pretty and just awesome frogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Austin... I also had a mantella many years ago for 11 years, and she was an adult when I got her. I wonder what is their lifespan.
I've been waiting for many years to get this frog again.
I have no idea if these are baroni, madagascariensis, or mixed, and am hoping someone can tell. I prefer not to interbreed different types.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
They look mostly like baroni I think. Madagascariensis have more of a horseshoe shaped orange mark on their ventral side, under the chin (baroni is more a small patch). Baroni also usually have orange feet (plus a little), where as madagascariensis have orange going up much higher on their legs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you eLisborg. 3 of the frogs have horseshoe marks under their chins instead of spots. Do you think those 3 might be madagascariensis? I read somewhere that the color of the horseshoe is blue/green, but I really don't have more info than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts