Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Last Sunday, my azureus laid some eggs. I pulled Sunday night, they're doing great, yada, yada, yada. Anyway, it got real warm here yesterday and the frog room temp jumped. Today I found my 8-day old eggs hatched. I went ahead and placed the tads in cups. I guess my question is: has anyone had eggs hatch this quickly, and do they have a chance of making it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should probably mention, the shelf the eggs normally sit on got to 82.9, from 76-77. (My AC broke yesterday) My other azureus pair's cage got up to almost 84, at which point I placed a small, covered deli cup of ice in there. Unfortunately when I pulled the clutch they had in there with them, they were white and not viable.
I'm worried the heat may have gotten to these early hatchers. One of the eggs in that clutch did not hatch yet. So, hopefully at least one of the tars will make it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If the yolk sac is pretty much gone they should be ok. Do they still have the red vainy deals hanging by their gills? I have had early tads do fine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. They still have the vein things on the gills. Two were squiggling on the petri dish. The other one was just balled. They do appear to have rather large yolk sacks. They look like a piece of debri stuck to a ball. I'm not hopeful. It may have been better to leave them on the lid, but with all the movement I just thought, "transfer them." I think it got too hot for them. They appear under formed from what expected. I'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I wouldn't be particularly hopeful if they really have hatched.

For tadpoles it's pretty important to keep a consistent temperature. That doesn't necessarily mean i.e. 77 degrees constant, but if the night temp for your tads is 74 then it should consistently be 74, if the high temps are 78 then they should be consistently 78, the more fluxuation from the routine the less hopeful I am about their survival.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have had some azureus tads hatch a tad early. Most didn't make it. I was surprised to see that three that hatched early last week are bombing around their containers today. All depends I guess. I try and keep temps normal but forgot how much heat rises on top of rack and with lights it was getting warm for them up there. Going to put them in a cool cabinet from now on.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
For tadpoles it's pretty important to keep a consistent temperature.
I have a different experience. My tad temps vary from the high 60s to the low 70s, and I have a high percentage of tad/healthy froglet. I deal mainly with tincs, leucs, auratus, and a few thumbs.

Whenever tads hatch 'early', where you can still see their external gills (this happens with me when I discover a clutch in-viv that's already pretty far along and I remove it), I find the tads have a much better shot of making it if I flood the petri dish, and keep them in there until their gills are no longer visible. I think their gills may be easily damaged, and transport from the petri dish to your rearing container may be too much for them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, one of the tads did not make it through the night. There was just a white moldy-looking outline of where a tad once was. The other two look better. Yolk sac absorbed. The last egg in this clutch hatched this morning. I'm going to just leave it in the petri dish for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i also keep them in the petri dish until the veins are gone or almost gone. I wonder if they are maybe not developed enough to come up for air in deeper water? possibly the transfer though too

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have a different experience. My tad temps vary from the high 60s to the low 70s, and I have a high percentage of tad/healthy froglet. I deal mainly with tincs, leucs, auratus, and a few thumbs.
Maybe I wasn't clear with the way I explained that. Night temps for my tads are around 72 and day temps are usually around 77 (or so). I find that, while that fluxuation is just fine, having a consistent fluxuation is important. Before I started finding ways to stabalize my day and night time temperatures my day time (rather than being consistently around 77) would be anywhere from 72 to 76 and my night temps would be anywhere from 68 to 72. I had a much lower rate of success. With the temperatures stabalized the way I have them now I have a much higher success rate both with my mortality rate, and number of deformities.

I mostly deal with thumbs, particularly fantastica and imitators.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This whole temperature thing was a fluke. It got to 92 outside, when it was supposed to be 84. I go to turn on the central air, and the unit outside doesn't do anything. So, this isn't something I'll have to deal with again, hopefully.

Usually my day time temps are 76.5-76.8 DTT, 73.5-74.3 NTT.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another update. The two tads I placed in cups are alive and well. I one I left in the petri dish failed to survive. Thanks for all the replies. Here's hoping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts